Estimated Cost Of Electricity Supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adammid

Reaction score
Sorry for lack of info but looking for a bit of advice.

I am looking into a project of 44 new build dwellings. These will include a mixture of 4 bed houses and 1,2,3 bed apartments.

I'm trying to get a rough cost of utility supplies. As I need to have a cost together within a week or so I am not likely to have any quotes back from the statutory utility providers, however I will seek their advice in the meantime but htought I may ask here also.

I expect each dwelling to need no more than 23kVA (100 amps) single phase.

I know that the power supplies run along side the road of the development.

I am just really looking for an rough idea, i understand that I am not going to get anything accurate other than by going to the providers but as I mentioned above I am pushed for time.

Any assistance would be appreciated and if any one has had any dealings with similar sized projects in the past and are able to offer any advice it would be much appreciated.

Irrespective of how fast you want costs together, if they are not accurate or from the correct supply authority who will do the work, then surely there is not much point in having a fast inaccurate guessed, response?

Doc H.

You will be very lucky to get a 23KVA supply. Think more in terms of 16KVA as a normal rating.

Cost can't be guessed like that, you need a price from your DNO. there will be a lot of infrastructure to install for that many.

But if you want a cost to guess at, it's going to cost us nearly £2K to get a new connection for one house from a cable that exists in the ground the other side of the road. So take that as your minimum cost per dwelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irrespective of how fast you want costs together, if they are not accurate or from the correct supply authority who will do the work, then surely there is not much point in having a fast inaccurate guessed, response?

Doc H.
I was looking for information such like Pro Dave has provided above where people may have had experience of such projects and be able to throw some figures at me. 

Like i said above, I am looking for a rough idea and do not expect a 100% accurate figure. I understand that it cannot be guessed just asking for a bit of info from helpful individuals. 

I think Doc was trying to be helpful.  It all depends where the supply has to come from and what infrastructure upgrades are needed. for 44 new houses, a new substation may be needed for instance.

Hi There,

I have a supply cable going right past my house. To install a 3 phase supply including 25 metres of service cable and all the ducting was about £1700 including the VAT about 3 years ago. Another one i dealt with was about £2000.

They really do just quote off the top of their heads, the people that had the £2K one, were quoted £3K until they said they did not have that much, then the DNO dropped the price by a grand!!!!!

What you are looking at is a bit different... The DNO will publish a document that sets out fixed prices for what ever you need, but they have a lot of room to move, for instance, a service cable might be priced at £11 to £23 pounds a metre...

Problem you got, is i doubt that there is the network capacity to do what you want to do, so never mind there might be an LV main out in the road, you will most likely need an 11KV main and a substation. This will not be cheap.....

If they CAN use the cable in the road, but have to "uprate" their existing transformer, you will only be charged a propotion of the price, depending on the percentage of the "extra capacity" that you will be using..

So, find the website for the DNO concerned, dig out the document i mentioned, and have a look. If you contact the DNO, they have to give you a price for nothing in the case of a house, but for what you are doing they might charge just for the hassle they have in calculating what the existing network can or cannot support. They have a term for this, but i cannot remember it!!!!!

Go here: this might be what you are looking for!!!!

http://www.westernpower.co.uk/Connections/Useful-Information/Connections-Charging-Statements.aspx

Hope this helps!!!!

john

I was looking for information such like Pro Dave has provided above where people may have had experience of such projects and be able to throw some figures at me. 

Like i said above, I am looking for a rough idea and do not expect a 100% accurate figure. I understand that it cannot be guessed just asking for a bit of info from helpful individuals. 

The point is unless someone has seen your proposed locations any figures are irrelevant. But your post reads as though you need cost quickly? call it £1000 maybe £2000, £3000, £4000, three for the price of two £500 each. Over head/Underground, who is digging trenches and laying ducting, (if needed) can make a big difference. But as I said earlier using any guess work figures, from any member of the forum, to plan costs for a project of this size, without seeing more information is poor planing if not daft to say the least. You make no mention of any distances between properties or to where you assume the supply can come from?

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I recently had to have an 11kV sub built outside a server room to give us a 1200A per phase supply. There was another 11kV sub 15 m across the road but it had no spare cap and it was on the end of a radial.  So ours was spurred of this and then another 11kV cable taken to another Xformer to create an 11kV ring .

they supplied HV cable, tranny, housing and connection.

we even had to supply connecting cables from the sub AND the lugs for them to connect OUR cable with........and the cost?

p

their bit alone cost £65k plus VAT plus way leave .

Just saying....

I know a chap that wants power to a wooden building in a field DNO want 10k to connect it. All you can do is put in a pc sum DNO will charge what they want. Surely developer would have looked into this before even looking into doing the development or is he pulling a fast one on you.

Do you really have to price the supplies? too many variables, to get a decent idea.  Can if just be excluded?  

I was involved with a new build block of 44 flats in Islington, N London about 5 years ago. It was the site of a disused factory. The job had started before the supply company got back to the developers to say it will cost  around £175K & space for a substation will be needed on site. The  developers had assumed the original factory supply could be reinstated but all the local infrastructure was on max due to other developments so a new 11kv feed would have to be brought in from  a mile or so away. The architects tried to redo the plans and bring in gas as it was going to be all electric but this was not possible for similar reasons. The entire building site stopped. I don't know what happened as I went back to connect up a generator for them & it was the last time I went there.

Cheers for your info guys. Ill try and speak with the guys at UKPN and see if they can provide me with any tit bits. I just need a PC Sum,. It a similar set up to Slipshod where the developer/ main cotracotr just needs some sort of idea. The previous developer who developed two blocks out of the 6 went bust and we don't know what infrastructure was put in place then.

I suppose you could put in two sums as at the end of the day both are guesses, one being at the lower end and one for network reinforcement. Depends how accurate your Pc sum is. I've always found ukpn to be rapid at quoting and terrible at most other things, so I'd be passing the buck to them.