Estimating/Quoting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voltimax

©CAHAGIYTYHE™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening all,

Not the usual pricing question here, you know like "what would you allow for blah blah blah".

I'm sure like most of you, when I go to price a job, I take my A4 note binder and write down everything the customer would like me to price. I also make notes on the earthing arrangements, size and type of cut out, sketches of rooms, etc, etc.

Now when I get back to the office I like to price the job via my excel spreadsheet template. Sometimes I'll price it via pen and paper, but it will always end up on the spreadsheet. I then save the estimate to a folder with a distinct estimate reference and client name. I hate having my small office cluttered up with paper. Now this is all well and good, I can gain access to my estimates at the touch of a mouse button and print a list of the materials needed so I can get them ordered when the job approaches. Trouble is, because I get rid of my original notes (as I said, I don't like clutter), when the job comes up, I can't always remember the details of my little sketches etc. I've always had a good memory and can recall such information, but like everyone I'm getting older and I'm struggling to recall things as easily. My spreadsheet saves me time, but it isn't able to contain sketches etc.

So to my question, what do you guys do?

Do you keep all your notes in a nice folder or tray until the job is completed and them dispose of them? or do you hang on to them indefinitely? Maybe you're able to get such information into your computer via some kind of program? What are your methods?

Thanks in advance :)

I use A5 notepads and keep all of them. So i have all my notes to hand if i need them and customer details are there from when i first took down the details as i have been known to put them into the computer wrong.

i take down the same sort of details as you, but while on the job in envisage how im going to it and make a note of how long i i think it will take, then get home and add some.

I use an A4 ring bound note book with squared paper so I can do reasonable looking sketches.

I leave the pages in and use them like a diary, I call them my "day books" I have been doing this for about 12 years now and store them in a filing cabinet with the from to dates on the cover.

IF I can figure out when I did the visit I can look back at the notes.

TBH I very rarely do drawings of rooms.. I do list per room and store it all on my memory stick in folders by address and files by date.. If I do a materials spread sheet then that is also stored in the same folder... all my on site notes are kept for a few weeks (untill I figure that they've gone with someone else) and then they are binned;)

When I get to a job I tend to confirm the socket / switch positions a second time and draw X's on the wall if required.

BTW most of my work is domestic:_| :_| :_|

I would like to do the above but the monotmy of life over rides my good hearted intentions and any big job just gets muddled with the rest and i just cross may fingers that i have made money!

The only way round it for me is email, i use it all the time and get the customer to notify changes through email.

take notes etc on site. have a book that i make notes of prices etc (material costs, labour times etc).

all jobs go onto computer, but for some larger jobs or jobs with additional papers (signed worksheets, site plans etc), they go into a folder along with copy of jobsheet

What about a scanner? Scan your papers and save as a pdf or a picture. That way you have all your notes on the computer.

Good idea jimleen

Noz: I don't make sketches of rooms per say, I make sketches for cable routes for sub mains, remote buildings etc and include the measurements for when I calculate the cable sizes. I also do them for rough lighting layouts etc.

One major problem with any sole trader is the ability to keep acurate records.

My only advise would be to keep seperate accounts for each job, your hourly rate, fuel costs, materials.These can then be allocated to that specific job, giving you a better picture of your outlay and expenditure. When you buy any materials use reference numbers so each bill can be located to that job, any paperwork you misplace can be duplicated by your supplier if you give a reference number.

I do the same as Voltimax - but to keep my memory correct I tend to be very explicit on the job - breaking it down into small elements - and for each element do an hours breakdown and material order breakdown. I find that this is enough to remind me of what the hell I was quoting for in the first place when the job eventually comes through.