EV charging point Rolec EVWP1140 key switch wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxIO

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new here and I'm sorry if this is a wrong forum.

I've recently installed a charging unit Rolec EVWP1140. It is fully working and fast. I would like to add  to it a key switch as below:

http://evonestop.co.uk/products/keyswitch?variant=40494391364

Their website says that "Wiring schematic is available on request." Unfortunately they didn't respond to emails. I can't find any pdf with terminals description. 

Do you know how to connect it? Does it go to communication unit? Which terminals?

I have got a spare cable ran, can I install it in a remote location, for example in the building? 

Any help appreciate.

Thanks.

We would need to see the control wiring circuit in the charger for accurate advice .    Interesting Rolec don't want to help you .   Oh dear did I name them !  

I've done loads of standard outside sockets  with indicated switches in the premises  to prevent misuse  by others  ....probably a good idea to include  them when installing EV chargers.          You go on holiday and neighbour charges his car for two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
there not very helpful

You only have to look at their website banner heading "Our offices are temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Find out more" just takes you to a blank page

You only have to look at their website banner heading "Our offices are temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Find out more" just takes you to a blank page

who said it was recently? ive contacted them in the past a few times, always been usless

You could interupt the CP (control pilot) pin of the connector, google for pin outs for your connector whether that be type 1 or type 2 to find out which pin that is.

The charger outputs a AC square wave on the CP pin when a car is connected, the duty cycle tells the car what current its allowed to draw. The car then puts a resistor between the CP and earth (via a diode) to signal its state. The diode being to ensure the voltage is only pulled down on one side of the waveform only, so that it can distinguish a genuine status, from falling in a puddle (not all chargers impliment it correctly though). If the CP is open cirucit, then the charger can't see a car connected and will remain in standby mode.

Could also do it via the PP pin, this is linked through a switch in the charging connector and breaks first, so that if you were to unplug while charging, the power pins never actually separate under load; once PP is broken the charging is switched off so that when the power pins break the current is zero.

It all seems pretty well thought out, and stragely for automotive stuff, its dead simple, with status being signalled by resistances connected to pins, rather than complicated communications protocols, it almost feels like a common sense design from years gone by rather than current technology :)

t all seems pretty well thought out, and stragely for automotive stuff, its dead simple, with status being signalled by resistances connected to pins, rather than complicated communications protocols, it almost feels like a common sense design from years gone by rather than current technology :)

I think it owes a certain amount to the methods used for many years to connect ground power sources to aircraft,.  

Thank you all for your help.

Finally evonestop replied. 

Key switch on rolec mode 3 controller goes between 12V terminal and EN terminal.

Once again thank you guys.

Latest posts