Extend an Oven Cord

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrcane

Reaction score
Hi There,

Looking for advice,

Just bought a new oven - Hotpoint SA2 540 H BL

Comes with a 13amp plug attached, bought to replace an older plug in version however the cable is literally 10 centimetres too short so looking for advice on what to do.

Stats on site say electrical connection o 2.35 KW and a fuse rating of 13amp

Looking at the regs;

Conventional function - 0.99

Fan forced function - 0.79

Nothing else relating to amperage.

First though was just use a 1 metre extension however safety regs say do not use.

Second thought, a junction box (which will void the guarantee) but unsure of box type and cable the other end.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

move the socket, or fit another socket closer
I would need a sparky to move the socket and trying to avoid having to spend an extra £150 so looking different options. Assuming no one else has anything to add i guess its my only option!

If you get in touch with the oven Manufacturer, a lot of them supply purpose made longer leads, I know Neff & Bosch do as their cables are a plug and socket, from memory the standard one is 1.5m long and the replacement is 2 or 2.5m long.

Last edited:
Thanks for all replies.
Tried hot point and they said they dont supply longer cables which is a ******. I see all responses dont exactly promote my suggestion of a junction box so would like to know why this is the case as in my humble DIY opinion if i was to use a 20amp box that should cover things, or, is this entirely not to be done as its an oven.

Get an extension lead, cut off the length of wire needed for the oven leaving the plug attached, chop off the manufacturers plug, WAGO connectors into a WAGO box, job done.

Screwfix:
Connector 2803R
Box 7355F
Extension Lead 8935G

Get an extension lead, cut off the length of wire needed for the oven leaving the plug attached, chop off the manufacturers plug, WAGO connectors into a WAGO box, job done.

Screwfix:
Connector 2803R
Box 7355F
Extension Lead 8935G

whilst those connectors may be rated at 32A I would not use them in the way you are suggesting ………

Screwfix:
Connector 2803R
Box 7355F
Extension Lead 8935G

The box you refer to is NOT intended for use with series 221 connectors that you suggest (2803R)

Description clearly states "Designed for use with Wago 222 and 773 series connectors".

Plus you certainly wouldn't want to be using 3way lever Wago's..
as trying to get 3x 3way 32A 221's in that size box could be a bit tight IMHO!

the 2way version, if it has to be used would be a better choice...
also Toolstation sell them in smaller quantities if you are not after a box of 50.
https://www.toolstation.com/wago-221-2-way-compact-lever-connectors/p93372

but still need a better box suitable for 221's!
https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-221-4-junction-box/p54159

Personally..
I would just move the socket..

The box you refer to is NOT intended for use with series 221 connectors that you suggest (2803R)
Well it doesnt say NOT to be used with 221's it does say it was designed for 222 / 773. That said it's perfectly fine with 221's, I havent had a problem at all.

Description clearly states "Designed for use with Wago 222 and 773 series connectors".
It does, youre absolutely correct.

Plus you certainly wouldn't want to be using 3way lever Wago's..
as trying to get 3x 3way 32A 221's in that size box could be a bit tight IMHO!
They seem to fit OK on the ones I've done with 221's and 222's

The 2way version, if it has to be used would be a better choice...
also Toolstation sell them in smaller quantities if you are not after a box of 50.
https://www.toolstation.com/wago-221-2-way-compact-lever-connectors/p93372

but still need a better box suitable for 221's!
https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-221-4-junction-box/p54159
Yep, I agree a better choice.

Personally..
I would just move the socket..
I'm sure you would but if theres a load of grief / time restraints at least extending the lead is another option.

personal opinion …. And as it’s a fixed appliance the best solution isn’t doing this sort of thing 😊
I get that everyone wants to have one straight line from the appliance plugged into the wall however i would love to know why you consider the option of extending a cable to make it longer such a bad idea.

If it is so bad, how come we use junction boxes and millions are used every year.

In the old days it would be, twist the wires, wrap a bit of insulation tape around and away you go, at least with a junction boxes things are that much more secure.

Cheers

Did you not think to try B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, or your local hardware shop? You’ll have to buy a quality plug as well of course.
Yes, however i have limited electrical supplies and its soldered to the internal circuit board. Which would mean soldering equipment, cable etc etc.

I know that there are so many ways to do this however i dont want to end up spending the same amount i sent to buy the oven just to switch it on.

If it is so bad, how come we use junction boxes and millions are used every year.

When a circuit is designed and planned properly, there is no need for junction boxes. It is often DIY people who use junction boxes.
Any joint in a cable is a point of weakness/failure. Most often not a case of will it fail, but when will it fail.

When a circuit is designed and planned properly, there is no need for junction boxes. It is often DIY people who use junction boxes.
Any joint in a cable is a point of weakness/failure. Most often not a case of will it fail, but when will it fail.
Fair enough

Latest posts