Extending a circuit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for input. I'll get my head around running it completely in SWA. Ref animals chewing through. I wasn't planning to run any of the Hi-tuff outside. I get your point on the unnecessary connection. Thanks again. 

6mm 3 core is easy to handle, providing it is warm, can be a bit of a pig if it has been stored outside in freezing conditions and you go to use it straight away,  but if you know you are going to use it in the morning bring it indoors overnight, into a nice centrally heated house right next to the radiator and it will practically go in itself.

If it was my job I would be trying to do the whole lot in SWA if at all possible, the less joints the better.
Thanks for the tip, I will do just that, you men have made me change my mind ref putting this in as one run in SWA. 

Hum ........... total load? distance? volt drop? max CCC?
Hi Murdoch. The distance is 21 lm, all in SWA now (following advice on here) The volt drop is way under the 4 / 3 % threshold (165.9 millivolts) and the CCC (I assume this is cable current capacity?) If so this is 62 amps, this however is based on two core 6mm. The 3 core tables only appear to be for 3 phase loads (53amps on this basis) 

As for load, I'm putting in a 32 amp ring main. The reality for now at the minute is (on the ring main) : two laptops, two phone chargers, two desk lights, one TV, one kettle, one 2kw heater and some gardening kit running seasonally. Planning on two 6 amp lighting circuits, one for the ext and one for the internal (two LED lights to each circuit)  I know diversity needs to be  considered, but guess that lot would be around 3/3.5kw if that. There may well be future capacity and that is why I'm going with the 6mm2. Hope that helps. I was thinking a 40 amp or a 32 amp breaker. Thank you.