exterior wall light with hard wiring new build property

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an aside, what's the legality of this situation?

The buyer bought "a house" could one argue that it's not been completed to spec?

What did building control think of "unfinished" wiring? Did they issue a completion certificate? Which electrician issued an EIC with incomplete wiring, and (presumably) live cables outside just terminated in a choc bloc? Did he note that as a departure? Does the owner even have the EIC? if not where is it? If he doesn't have the completion certificate from BC and the EIC from the electricians, he should ask for those documents to be given to him immediately. Also, being a new build, it should have an NHBC 10 year guarantee, or something similar.

All questions I would be taking up with the site representative.

It's all very well to charge for "extras" but in this case I feel they may have actually left the installation in a dangerous condition, and I'm willing to bet if you started making a fuss, suggesting you contact trading standards, HSE etc, you would probably find as a "good will" gesture they would fit the light for free.

Just an aside, what's the legality of this situation?The buyer bought "a house" could one argue that it's not been completed to spec?

What did building control think of "unfinished" wiring? Did they issue a completion certificate? Which electrician issued an EIC with incomplete wiring, and (presumably) live cables outside just terminated in a choc bloc?
I think you could be assuming a few too many things here ProDave, back at the original post Biggurs did say it was terminated in a box. "When I uncovered the small box housing the wiring I discovered there are FOUR wires."

Doc H.

Just an aside, what's the legality of this situation?The buyer bought "a house" could one argue that it's not been completed to spec?

What did building control think of "unfinished" wiring? Did they issue a completion certificate? Which electrician issued an EIC with incomplete wiring, and (presumably) live cables outside just terminated in a choc bloc? Did he note that as a departure? Does the owner even have the EIC? if not where is it? If he doesn't have the completion certificate from BC and the EIC from the electricians, he should ask for those documents to be given to him immediately. Also, being a new build, it should have an NHBC 10 year guarantee, or something similar.

All questions I would be taking up with the site representative.

It's all very well to charge for "extras" but in this case I feel they may have actually left the installation in a dangerous condition, and I'm willing to bet if you started making a fuss, suggesting you contact trading standards, HSE etc, you would probably find as a "good will" gesture they would fit the light for free.
how do we know its even live? the cables may be in place, but not connected to anything. also the cables outside may be to spec, terminated into a suitable enclosure. so its not exactly 'unfinished wiring'

You get this a lot with some cars. They make one wiring loom that fits all, and then depending upon specs they connect buttons and accessories.

Probablly find that there was a choice of washing machine, dishwasher etc.

I think you could be assuming a few too many things here ProDave, back at the original post Biggurs did say it was terminated in a box. "When I uncovered the small box housing the wiring I discovered there are FOUR wires."Doc H.
Very true, I missed that bit.

But that just serves to illustrate this sort of practice is just a money making scam by the builders.

If the customer chooses not to pay "extra" for an outside light, the sparky must fit a suitable insulated box to terminate the unused cables, a job that will take almost exactly the same length of time as to fit the bl***y light fitting.

So all the builder saves by not fitting the light is the cost of the light fitting minus the cost of the waterproof box.

Since the OP doesn't seem to understand the advice given, I suggest he either kicks up a fuss to get the builders to fit the light for free, or pays a local electrician to fit it. I'm sure most sparks would fit that light to existing wiring for less than the builders

just because the builders have wired for a light that might not be wanted doesn't make them hateful thieving scumbags. not wishing to tell anyone to suck eggs here, this is more for those not in the business. when wiring a house(especially a new build) it is amazingly simple to add sockets/lights etc anywhere you want, its childs play as there are no tenants/owners, no furniture, no floors, no ceilings, no walls etc etc and when an estate of new builds go up basically all houses are built/wired the same regardless of any "choices" given to the owner, its simply easier to wire them all the same much like cars as someone has already mentioned. then the new owners are given choices about things like extra lights etc at a cost and the builders have gone out on a limb and pre wired a lot of these options simply to make their life easier.

they are not charging

Just thinking out loud here a bit...

but could there also be the possibility that the builder didn't want any external lights fitted before people moved in and requested them, in case any other light fingered visitors came around and nicked the external fittings from the empty properties? X(

say you had 10+ properties with some nice new PIR light fittings.....

could be worth a few bob at the car boot for someone that way inclined! :(

just another angle on the possible reasoning..

ps

I am with the 'Perm Live', 'Neutral', 'Earth' & 'Switched Live' school of thought!

Guinness