extracted fans and gas flue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes Noz, depends on the boiler though,

but what I need to know isw,

is an opening treated the same as a forced ventilation device.? ie, an extractor fan.

yes Noz, depends on the boiler though,but what I need to know isw,

is an opening treated the same as a forced ventilation device.? ie, an extractor fan.
Yes its treated the same.

If the the extract is not running then its an opening,the same as any other. When the extract is running then theres even less chance of any re entry of combustible gases, so 300mm is the minimum.

If the device was drawing air in from outside then you would need to speak to the fan manufactures.

1) You have a Promax which is room sealed, so no internal issues regarding pressure.

2) If the fan is just extraction then worst case is fan not running, and its an opening the same as any other. When the fan is running the pressure of the fan will push away any products of combustion.

Just ensure 300mm, that will be fine.

Looked up a Potterton promax 15HE & 24HE which states on page 14 of the installation manual that terminal minimum distance to:

an openable window, air vent or air brick or any other ventilation opening is 300mm or greater.

You can always go onto the potterton website for these manuals or I can send you a pdf pressuming it's one of the above models, or you can phone up their Tech department which will help.

Regards, Mike.

I have the manual mike, and a written confirmation from potterton, but everything stated openings,

what I wanted was confirmation that an extractor fan was treated like an opening, which we seem to have all agreed on,

thank you all.