Extractor fan question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Sparky~

Reaction score
This may be a long shot but what im looking for may be out there.

Currently i have a wall mounted extractor fan that has a built in backdraft shutter. Externally there is a metal grill just like the one in this picture,

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9271945&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=grill&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1288202755594&isSearch=true

The problem i have is in exessive wind the backdraft shutter rattles and as you can emagine its not the best thing to be woken up with at 3am. What i am looking for is a grill like the one in this picture,

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/BGBD4W.JPG

but the same size as the grill i have fitted at the moment.

You may think this is a strange request but the reason for this is behind the existing grill has not been rough casted and i dont want to show this if possible.

I have also come up with some theories but havent tryed them, first one would be to install another backdraft shutter directly behind the external grill and hope that stops the internal shutter flapping around. Secondly i have wonderd if i could silicone some nuts onto the flap that is moving around to add a little weight to it to provent the movement but not too much weight that the fan will not open the shutter when its on.... i have doubs on this one as i think it may affect the performance of the actual fan.

Maybe some one has come accross what im looking for or has a suggestion.

Thanks

You will always get rattle with back draft shutters.

Better to install a fan with an Auto shutter on the INSIDE that will close tight when fan fan is off.

Excessive wind eh ! You've left yourself wide open with that one Sparky !! All that haggis and tatties I reckon !!

Back to your fan , I'd swop it for one of those with an iris shutter , the sort you have will rattle for ever if you have excessive wind.

I can't remember the make for iris shutter fans but I'm sure you'll find them.

HAHAHA Evans i only get that sort of exessive wind after a nice curry..... mmmmm :)

Back to the fan, the one i have is like this i cant remember the exact model i have but is the same size etc as this one,

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/xpelair-premier-lvcf20t-low-2380-16397?CAWELAID=205025050

The reason i got this is because it is amazing at "sooking" the steam away and the existing fan that was there when i purchased the house was roughly the same size and whoever fitted it made a dogs dinner of it so i wanted to hide what had been already done and also use the same hole that was cored as i dont want to make a mess of outside. So getting a new fan is really not an option...... Is there an electronic backdraft shutter that can be connected to the existing fan and opperates when the fan is energised. I would have to leave the built in backdraft shutter if there was and electronic one but i would place it in the pipe and it would before the built in backdraft shutter and would remain closed until energised.

im thinking there is not a grill that i am looking for as the powers of google are not helping me, lol

Not sure TBH . Is there a Fans and Spares Ltd north of the border ? Or someone similar. Fans & Spares ,Birmingham is on 0121 322 0310 or 0200 .
I honestly wouldnt know but i will do a google and have a look :) cheers

What do you think of the silicone and nut idea.......

Maybe I've read this wrong, but you want a gravity grille like a 4" one but bigger? How about fitting a 6" one?

Maybe I've read this wrong, but you want a gravity grille like a 4" one but bigger? How about fitting a 6" one?
You have read this slightly wrong..... i still need a 4" grill to fit it to the 4"pipe thats there but the standard 4"grill with the flaps on it is too small i need it to be the same size as the one thats already there to hide what they have not rough casted but still want the flaps to stop the wind getting into the backdraft shutter.

Hope that makes a little more sence to you.

Just had another thaught..... it would work but dont know how it would look,

I get a new grill the same as what is up at the moment and get a standard sized 4" grill with the flaps and cut the 4" hole out the new metal grill and place the plastic one through the metal one and mount it to the wall, this would hide what i want to hide and possibly cure my problem but may not look nice atal.

Any thaughts on that?

Hope that makes a little more sence to you.
Not really, fit a 6" grille. They are bigger than 4", you want a grille bigger than a 4" one, 6" ones are bigger. Not quite sure how else to explain this.

Not really, fit a 6" grille. They are bigger than 4", you want a grille bigger than a 4" one, 6" ones are bigger. Not quite sure how else to explain this.
I understand what you are saying now, sorry, and yes i do agree with you that 6" grills are bigger but i only have a 4" duct/ fan....... i dont even think fitting an 6" to 4" reducer would work as the grill would stick out from the wall outside

I think the only way to get over this is buy starting again. If you put a gravity grill in that will rattle in the wind. If you put nuts on a gravity grill it won't work because fan won't be powerful enough to move them. Other option would be to cut bricks out and put new ones in then cut new hole again. You could then use a cowel vent as they tend to be quieter. What ever you do won't be easy though.

I understand what you are saying now, sorry, and yes i do agree with you that 6" grills are bigger but i only have a 4" duct/ fan....... i dont even think fitting an 6" to 4" reducer would work as the grill would stick out from the wall outside
just cut the pipe bit off the 6" grill.!

but,

it will still rattle like mad in the wind.

how about a turn down grill? it might stop the wind blowing your backdraft shutter open.........

still think your best option is a fan with controlled shutters on it as was suggested by an earlier poster.

Or an even simpler option...

Take the fan off the wall remove the backdraft shutters and refit the fan...

OK, so it'll be a bit colder in the winter, but you'll gain by having trickle venting and it certainly won't wake you up!

Or an even simpler option...Take the fan off the wall remove the backdraft shutters and refit the fan...

OK, so it'll be a bit colder in the winter, but you'll gain by having trickle venting and it certainly won't wake you up!
:C

I think its a case of whatever,

its one of these Qs where its going to keep going on until the OP gets the answer he wants,

not the answer that will work,

which I think someone gave way near the start.

post #2

Latest posts