Extractor fan switching??

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbicket

Reaction score
Ok, here's one that's been annoying me. Why is it that we wire an extractor fan to come on with the light?? I know this works when it's dark and we need to switch the light on but what if it's daylight, do we switch the light on just to get the air extracting when taking shower etc. Would it not be better to switch it say with a pir.

What about the manufactures bringing out an extractor that can recognise steam and automatically switch on, and switch itself off when it's clear. Or even have its own pir...

Mmmm have I gone mad ... Maybe just maybe..:eek:

The only problem with humidistat is that they can't smell, if you know what I mean:D

Believe it or not, the council is not interested in smells. Its condensation due to water being in the room that they insist on extract.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:51 ----------

. What about the manufactures bringing out an extractor that can recognise steam and automatically switch on, and switch itself off when it's clear.
So your number two's steam enough to start an extract then :eek: :run

Believe it or not' date=' the council is not interested in smells. Its condensation due to water being in the room that they insist on extract.[/quote']That would make sense,Condensation is where you get all the problems with mould , plaster / drywall damage etc..

Believe it or not' date=' the council is not interested in smells. Its condensation due to water being in the room that they insist on extract.---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:51 ----------

. What about the manufactures bringing out an extractor that can recognise steam and automatically switch on, and switch itself off when it's clear.
So your number two's steam enough to start an extract then :eek: :run
I don't think there that bad!!!

That made me think an inventor I saw on tv, maybe dragons den, where there was an extractor built into the toilet.. Now that's technology:rolleyes: :p

a lot of councils round this way fit envirovent trickle fans with optional boost,

a lot of council tenants round this way rip the wires to them out! :|

spec is to put them in the loft so tenants cant access them,

anyway, would matter that much to some of the neantherthals anyway, the wouldnt know what it was for,

see quite a lot of them simply stuffed with toilet paper and they burn out!!!!!!!

talk about firestarters?!?!?!?!?!?

For an owner occupier I always give the option for a light switch and a separate fan switch.

For a tenanted house, I always wire the fan to the light switch and either don't fit a fan isolator or have it hidden in a loft space, so the tenant can't disable the fan. Condensation in a bathroom due to the tenant disabling the fan (due to noise?) is a VERY common complaint from landlords.

I've never had much luck with humidistat fans, they seem to either not come on, or stay on way way too long.

A PIR sensor to turn on the fan when it senses someone in the room is perhaps a better option?

urm maybe im missing the obvious here but why not just open an available window (if a window is in the room) when taking a shower or a s :eek: t :slap

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:53 ----------

oh i forgot fans are the now be all of society :coat