extractor fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrmiles8

Reaction score
Need to fit an extractor fan in a bathroom - it is the sort that can be set to continue running when turned off and I want it to have its own switch i.e. NOT be controlled by the exisisting pull cord

Looking at the existing wiring (in the loft) there is one cable, red black and earth, coming from the switch into the light and two cables, both consisting of red black and earth, coming out of the light

I have bought another pull cord switch, a 3 pole isolation switch and I understand that the fan will need both a switched live and a permanent live but I am not sure which wires to use from the existing set up

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

When you say

it is the sort that can be set to continue running when turned off
Do you mean you want an 'over-run' so that it goes on for a period of time after the light turned off?

Are you wanting it to come on with the light and then run for a period of time after the light switched off - or do you want to turn it on and off on it's own pull cord?

I'm in a hurry, but there's a wiring diagram on here! (I'll find it for you later, unless I'm beaten to it)

when you saydo you mean you want an 'over-run' so that it goes on for a period of time after the light turned off?

yes, that's correct

are you wanting it to come on with the light and then run for a period of time after the light switched off - or do you want to turn it on and off on it's own pull cord?

no, run off its own pull cord

i'm in a hurry, but there's a wiring diagram on here! (i'll find it for you later, unless i'm beaten to it)
yes, rcd on the consumer unit

You know ALL circuits in a bathroom must now have RCD protection? Do you have one in your CU?
Not forgetting, are notifiable.

Hello Mrmiles8 welcome to the forum. I normally wire extractor fans into lighting so it comes on with light and have isolation switch either as 3 pole pullcord in bathroom or three pole switch outside bathroom that way you have the option of having fan on or off. Bathrooms come under part p so as you are asking how it is wired I would assume you are not registered and should not be doing the work.

Batty

Hello MrMiles,

just to throw another spanner in the works...

I think you will find the manufactures instructions require a 3amp fuse as well? :|

When you sayDo you mean you want an 'over-run' so that it goes on for a period of time after the light turned off?

Are you wanting it to come on with the light and then run for a period of time after the light switched off - or do you want to turn it on and off on it's own pull cord?

I'm in a hurry, but there's a wiring diagram on here! (I'll find it for you later, unless I'm beaten to it)
see this thread

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2708

Need to fit an extractor fan in a bathroom - it is the sort that can be set to continue running when turned off and I want it to have its own switch i.e. NOT be controlled by the exisisting pull cordLooking at the existing wiring (in the loft) there is one cable, red black and earth, coming from the switch into the light and two cables, both consisting of red black and earth, coming out of the light

I have bought another pull cord switch, a 3 pole isolation switch and I understand that the fan will need both a switched live and a permanent live but I am not sure which wires to use from the existing set up

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike
please post again,

Im a bit lost on all these posts

guys, please remember, that someone that is going to DIY will do so given our blessing or not, APAPCHE please take note you noob!? :D

we can but help steer the guy towards doing it safely, if not by the book,.!

please post again,Im a bit lost on all these posts

guys, please remember, that someone that is going to DIY will do so given our blessing or not, APAPCHE please take note you noob!? :D

we can but help steer the guy towards doing it safely, if not by the book,.!
:x I've never been called a 'noob' before! I'm going to take it as an affectionate term

:D

should you use 1/2mtr of flex to run from the isolating switch chucked over the ceiling joists to the fan using the earth as a switched live.

should you use 1/2mtr of flex to run from the isolating switch chucked over the ceiling joists to the fan using the earth as a switched live.
Why would you want to??????

what i am trying to ascertain is this "did the spark that wired my house use best practice up to code bs our was he a f*&% wit?"

what i am trying to ascertain is this "did the spark that wired my house use best practice up to code bs our was he a f*&% wit?"
Certainly not good practice and does not comply with regs.

Batty

so where does this leave me "employ another registered spark have the work signed off by the council and maybe completed incorrectly" or try and learn how to complete the task correctly myself

do i need part p to use my shaver in the bathroom or do i need to be supervised?

Your definately in the category of 'Dangerous 5 day wonder with no knowledge' is anyone thinks this is acceptble

the earth core is there for a reason. to be used as an earth. not something else.

and 4 core flex is easily available

Latest posts