Fault finding lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timotei

Reaction score
Good morning all. Would appreciate your thoughts on the following.

Call out yesterday to 1970's domestic property with 50% of ground floor lights not working, no MCB trip (lights not RCD protected). I was hoping for a relatively straightforward binary search, checking at ceiling roses for a "broken" loop or perhaps a dropped neutral...unfortunately all ceiling roses have only switch live and neutral, with L / SL at switches, so now facing the needle in a haystack search for JBs under the floor.

3 MCBs are serving lights, but none are labelled, combination of T+E / singles (borrowed neutrals?) from the MCBs, all terminations within DB confirmed with 241 volts at each MCB. No voltage at switches or lights for those not working.

My plan on return is to lift boards on first floor above switch locations hoping to find JBs and the "missing link", starting at the switch drops for the non-functional light nearest the last working light.

Depending on the route of the radial circuit (which often seems to be anything but logical in these houses) this is a bit hit and miss, not the sort of fault finding process I like to use.....so am I missing anything, would anyone suggest a different approach....is my logic off?

Many thanks in advance,

Timotei

I often find the main JB on the landing for downstairs lights and loft for upstairs when I had to search for them. Are the lives looped at switches or have you only got 1 x L and 1 x SL? If looped then the N normally looped though roses and not via a JB. Also worth asking some questions like, any lights replaced Recently, or Xmas Dec's taken out of the loft ect.
Good luck

Thank you all for your swift replies....landing it is to start with then...I have the ferret cam on standby!

I'll let you know how it goes!

This was the first one I found recently under the landing floor (after the customer had hoovered it)

CK JB.jpg

The clue to the location was the short length of floorboard ..........

Thankfully concealed JB's are a thing of the past.