Light fitting wiring help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turn the light on?

Just saying. Bonita (The OP) started 3 threads for the same question. To avoid further confusion, I merged them into one thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain your issue a bit better please. You don't normally have a permanent live going to a light fitting unless you want that fitting to be on all the time, e.g a maintained emergency light fitting.

Are you saying what should be a switched live does not come on when you turn the switch on?

I would hazard a guess that you will find much of the information you need on your other post...
https://electricianforum.co.uk/threads/light-fitting-wiring-help.56334/#post-543750
And based on you comment from that thread that you made on Sunday...
I’m so confused just don’t know why there so many wires

This is probably the root of your problem...?

You never came back to answer various questions that were raised in that thread...

Nor did you say if you have got the light working...?

Are these two topics very closely related by chance???

ALL 3 threads are now merged into one.

Perhaps it’s a loop through, feeding another fitting! if you disconnect it it won’t have power on it.

Hi can anyone tell me if the 3 red wires from the ceiling that go into ceiling light all go together in one terminal block I’m struggling to get all 3 to fit in 1 hole. Can I put them in separate blocks or would it stop the light working?
Any advice would be great thanks
Bonita

Thread merged with previous question

A picture is going to help here, assuming these are the 'loop' conductors they must be kept together.

A picture is going to help here, assuming these are the 'loop' conductors they must be kept together.
So do I squeeze them all into 1 hole in terminal block? The copper wire is really stiff so struggling to get them in if makes sense? They don’t go into light fitting they have to go into a terminal but I can’t get them all in 1 hole do I need to twist them together?

So do I squeeze them all into 1 hole in terminal block? The copper wire is really stiff so struggling to get them in if makes sense? They don’t go into light fitting they have to go into a terminal but I can’t get them all in 1 hole do I need to twist them together?
If they won't fit the terminal you are trying use a larger terminal. Twisting them will actually make the overall diameter larger.

You still don't have a clue how to wire it so I take it you are ignoring the advice and just going to try random configurations in the hope you may stumble on the one that works and hope you don't do too much damage when you get it wrong.

Latest posts