Fellow computer experts.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windows file indexing also slows things down, particularly if you have a large number of applications taking up the disk space rather than photo files etc. If you are not bothered about being able to find files quickly, it is possible to turn the automatic indexing off, knocking a fair bit off the boot time. It's too late at night to go through the process, but if anybody's interested, I'll explain it when I'm sober.

Cheers. Chris

Ive said it before, and I'll say it again, your PC will fly until you install certain resource zapping software,

usually anything that has M$ or Windoze on it.!

:slap

Funnily enough Chris, the reason I'm here so late is I'm building a Windoze machine up at the moment along side me and have just turned off the indexing service!

Canoey,

I can't use Ubuntu as my working environment at the moment!

I have it dual booting with Windoze.

I will have to spend more time setting up Ubuntu and sorting things out in the mean time I have to have a working computer!

Otherwise I don't have a business, no business means no house and no food, worse still no Guinness ;)

Sidey,,

You have to buy and use the tools that do what you want them to do... If that means you have to use Windows on your work PC then so be it..

It might not please people, but most if not all business desktop PCs run some version of windows... That is all except the macs;)

^ unfortunately I have to agree,

even I have an old PC dual booting windoze for if/when I need it, but 2 years in now and it gets fired up maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

Unbuntu is quick and I like it don't get me wrong!

Hence why I bought a bigger HDD for lappy to be able to dual boot and try it.

However, as Steps & Canoe agree not everything runs under it.

Until I can try bits at a time and get each one working then I can't migrate!

Suffice to say I have set it up so the default is Win, but I can change that!!!

have an old printer/scanner that the missus likes(its a piece of carp) but it only works on windoze, plus the missus needs XP for her office link up, but she has a new laptop from work now,

use a design prog for solar that wont work on ubuntu either, its an .exe

My Pc on windows7 about 2 minutes, my laptop also on windows 7 seconds because I put it to sleep rather than shut down and my netbook, about a minute, but that's on Joli OS

my PC, which most will know is ancient in comparison to most peoples boots Ubuntu in under 30 seconds from button pushed to FF running. :D

1.8 dual core with 1G of RAM.!

Check your startups. If you have installed a lot of software (easy enough to do) you may be starting lots of applications up. Also - some take longer to start than others, especially anti-virus (make sure you have one and only one), and oher anti-malware software. There are a number of freeware items that can help you view/fix your startup files.