fire alarm panel

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r.b

Reaction score
At a fire alarm zone connections you have to put end of line resistors at the zones you are not using.Is this the same at the sounder connections in the panel,if you had a spare sounder circuit connection in the panel would you put in it an end of line resistor?

Yes you need to put an end of line resistor in the sounder circuit but these are usually different to your zone end of lines.

Usually EOL (End Of Line) and any zones not utilised are fitted with EOL CAPACITERS

Unused sounder outputs are usually fitted with a RESISTOR of approx 68 ohms

all the panels I have ever used utilise the same system

Why do you have unused sounder outputs ?
If you have used sounder bases, you may not need external sounders if the DB levels are correct.

ie recent install, ten smokes, three inc sounder bases - very neat and tidy - DB levels all correct

Cost effective etc.

Thatys why no external sounders needed.

(Just incase - external sounders does not mean outside buildiing - it means external to the panel/sensors)

let me get this straight end of line resistors are not needed at sounders are they?sure there not?

Threads merged. Please cease cluttering the forum with duplicate threads asking the same point, your previous question on this topic was only 3 days ago. If you cannot find your earlier posts they can be found by going to your profile and looking for "Find latest posts" or "Find latest threads" Possibly post #5 may answer your question. Alternately you need to seek the specific manufactures guidance for the panel you are working on.

Doc H.

If you have used sounder bases, you may not need external sounders if the DB levels are correct.ie recent install, ten smokes, three inc sounder bases - very neat and tidy - DB levels all correct

Cost effective etc.

Thatys why no external sounders needed.

(Just incase - external sounders does not mean outside buildiing - it means external to the panel/sensors)
You have to have a minimum of two sounder circuits . Some panels have a sounder circuit for each zone ,if you are using sounder bases then they would be connected to the relevant circuits so why would there be unused sounder circuits. Only the OP can answer this.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:30 ----------

let me get this straight end of line resistors are not needed at sounders are they?sure there not?
You should have a minimum of two sounder circuits in use on each system. Each circuit must be wired in line with no T joints. The very last sounder on each leg has the 'end of line device' fitted. This can be a resistor, capacitor or i have seen another electronic item i have forgotten the name of. If a sounder circuit is not used then this device is fitted in the terminals of the panel.

Do you have insurance to cover you for this type of work ?

You do not sound compedant & peoples lives may depend on it.