fireplace central heating with an extra electric water heater.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Convection back boilers used a direct hot water cylinder, the water going through the boiler was the same water coming out of the tap.
Primatic cylinder iirc, it used an air bubble to maintain some type of separation, if anything upset it then you got sludgy water out of the hot tap.

Finally someone who can give constructive advice instead of no-can-do jaba jaba LOL. Thanks man. One love!
And to avoid danger of legionella won't I just need to isolate the mains from the close circuit with a valve which will open only when I'll open a tap along the closed circuit, so that fresh water can flow in?? Thx 

So what will circulate the water until you decide to turn the tap on?

Mains water into a circulating heating loop then out of a tap. I cannot begin to tell you how many rules and water bylaws you are proposing to break. And yes Legionaires is a REAL risk with what you propose.

This thread should be deleted, because this reputable forum cannot play any part in helping you do something so blatantly dangerous in so many ways
if what u saying is true EVERYONE who during the summer has a water hose in the garden would create legionaires !! ;)

if what u saying is true EVERYONE who during the summer has a water hose in the garden would create legionaires !! ;)

Yes, you are quite correct it is that dangerous, hence the some of the warnings in this thread about the dangers of your proposed arrangement. Have a google and you will probably find articles such as these; 

https://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science-tech/garden-hose-breeding-ground-legionnaires’-disease

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4608122/Man-63-dies-Legionnaires-working-garden.html

Not sure it is something to smile or wink about though? 

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to work in a large hotel and as a building services engineer part of my job was to ensure there was no chance of an outbreak of Legionnaires disease, we had strict procedures in place, water stored above a certain temperature, all shower heads removed on a monthly basis and sanitized ( we actually had 2 sets, 1in use and the other stored clean). Filters had to be checked regularly, air handling units cleaned and inspected, it was one hell of a responsibility, you can quite easily kill a lot of people by not following the correct procedure. JTF wholesale were recently found guilty of causing the death of two men and several others to be hospitalised, when they set up a demonstration hot tub in one of their stores, as it was only to look at and wasn't having people using it they didn't follow the correct protocols, and as a result there was an outbreak of Legionnaires. I've known of quite a few outbreaks and each case has resulted in somebody being given a prison sentence!

That was the main reason I parted company with the hotel, far too much responsibility for far too little pay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-40479742

how many jobs have you had?! you seem to have worked for everyone
 I liked to move around a lot, after getting made redundant about a year after coming out of my time, I decided to look after number one and sod everybody else! I kept moving around, a few years here a few years there, if I was offered more money then I went, simple as that, If I didn't like the working conditions I went, it made for a variety of experiences and was a lot of fun.

Take the hotel for example, the advert was for a maintenance engineer, the other 2 lads were an ex postman, and a diyer, lol.When they found out what I could do they put me in charge of building systems, looking after not only the day to day stuff, but also the telecoms, ITnetwork and a lot of other stuff, In one week alone I saved them £3k by doing some repair work in house that was previously done externally ( stainless steel welding), unfortunately after 6 months of proving myself I asked for another £1 an hour, they were not forthcoming so it was tools in the truck and move on.

I did about 2 years at BT, then got out as it was going silly, went to NTL telewest, just as they were being taken over by VM, left after a spat with management, got asked to go back by VM, sorted a load of lettuced out for them on the local network, and was then replaced by a pillock who'd been fired by NTL for being carrotted at work, in the telecoms game a lot of it is on the "old boy " network, you can get away with murder if you are one of the lads, I wasn't!

I've absolutely no loyalty to anyone except myself these days and it suits me that way, get bored and move on.

I did about 2 years at BT, then got out as it was going silly, went to NTL telewest, just as they were being taken over by VM,

Just for the record I think you will find that NTL/Telewest purchased Virgin Mobile, of which part of the purchase included some share options leaving Richard Branson as a major shareholder in NTL/Telewest.  Later under a licensing agreement they re branded as Virgin Media, as the NTL brand was having some bad customer satisfaction issues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6343341.stm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media

Also for further trivia, a significant chunk of what we now consider to be the Virgin Media network, Was originally part of the Mercury Communications & Cable & Wireless venture, initially set up to provide completion to BT. This was also eventually sold to NTL around early 2000.  So it was NTL, (with its poor customer image), that was doing more of the purchasing. But they had to re-brand to kill off the old NTL name. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_Communications

Doc H. 

So, I shall repeat my earlier question of 3 Oct, after which 4 Oct you said you would be contacting the manufacture of this, (as yet unidentified), water heater.  Please can you understand that for people to offer you practical and useful answers to your questions, often they will ask questions back to you, to get greater detail so as to offer an appropriate answer. Without more factual detail about exactly how this proposed system is going to be connected up, (e.g. drawing/.plan/sketch of the system), our members are guessing. You may as well ask any random vague question you like to a complete stranger at a bus stop and expect them to be able to connect your system up. Based upon the vagueness of your question I fail to see how you can interpret any of the very constructive answers given so far as "no can do Jaba Jaba"?

Re the 15l 3kw under sink water heater:- 

1) What is the Make of this proposed water heater?

2) What is the model number of this proposed water heater?

3) What do the manufactures installation instructions say?

4) What was the response for the inquires you said you were going to make?  (Or didn't you contact the manufacture?)

Please answer each of the above points, otherwise I would have to assume this is just a 'wind-up' thread with no possible genuine answer actually needed.

Hi, I haven't decided what will be the best water heater option yet, that's why I can't answer all ur q's. Thanks to some of U, and other ppl's advice I'm making some due changes as I'll make sure to use a ''tank with a fill in, ball valve'' to eliminate contact with the mains. Now I just have to work out if the pressure in that ''tank'' will be enough to ensure enough pressure in the circuit or if i'll have to install an expansion tank too.

Here is Alloween holiday Best wishes to u all!