fitting a shower (plumbing)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A properly fitted compression joint should need nothing extra to seal it. A family friend was a plumber and he said the biggest problem was over tightening compression joints. It will seal with only the olive with nothing extra. Every time you undo the joint you must replace the olive.

I have a few compression joints in my house done this way and none leak. This is very different to just a screw joint (like a radiator lockshield valve) with no olive that requires PTFE tape/liquid.

That's because you're not using it right, there's a knack. ;)
i used to use it all the time till a plumber showed me boss white, and then the green for tap water, used to wrap the olive, and rad valves threds.

i get on with it better. do you use the boss green, which would you recomend to a beginner. :)

mira-sport-thermostatic.jpg

mira sport 9kw.

you see it has a thread on it. It shows and olive and nut on there, haven't checked if they're in the box but if they are, i take it a small peice of copper pipe inbetween that and the compresion 90 will do.

A properly fitted compression joint should need nothing extra to seal it. A family friend was a plumber and he said the biggest problem was over tightening compression joints. It will seal with only the olive with nothing extra. Every time you undo the joint you must replace the olive. I have a few compression joints in my house done this way and none leak. This is very different to just a screw joint (like a radiator lockshield valve) with no olive that requires PTFE tape/liquid.
thats true but i never risk it so i gunk it up.

over tightening buggers it then people think its lose so tighten some more

mira sport 9kw.

you see it has a thread on it. It shows and olive and nut on there, haven't checked if they're in the box but if they are, i take it a small peice of copper pipe inbetween that and the compresion 90 will do.
Yes, that is exactly what I would do.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19044/Plumbing/Push-Fit-Fittings/JG-Speedfit-Stem-Elbow-15mmthat might be your best bet see what others say. you can get the same in copper that you solder if you need a smaller fitting

see what others say
Nothing wrong with that if you were fitting it from new but by the time you've got the olive off without marking the pipe, ensuring it is perfectly round, cleaning it all up etc... you might as well just stick the compression fitting on. Much easier.

cheers, folks, I'll have to pop out and get some supplies tomorrow.

A properly fitted compression joint should need nothing extra to seal it. A family friend was a plumber and he said the biggest problem was over tightening compression joints. It will seal with only the olive with nothing extra.
:Applaud :Applaud

The knack is getting the pipe to butt up correctly inside the joint! :)

Latest posts