"Other" work....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've pretty much been offered a complete bathroom refurb, I originally quoted for the shower but the guy who was quoting for the bathroom has said that he can't fit it in and do I want the job (direct to client).... I don't know if I really want it though.

At the moment I do help out my plumber mate (different person) with his bathroom refurbs, I have done my own and smaller jobs of this type before so I am able to do the job to a good standard.

Additionally the guy has the suite, shower, screen, extractor fan and tiles (wall and floor), so all I'd have to supply is a little bit of plumbing, some 3/4 ply for the floor, adhesives and grout.

Another thing to bearbin mind is that I do get a load of work from my plumber (bathrooms and boilers), but he's due to retire in the next year or so...I also don't want to ailienate him,,, but it would help me diversify

I've done plumbing for customers, but it can be more hassle that it's worth.

I try to limit myself now to simple things, like perhaps plumbing in the water feed to an electric shower.

I once did all the plumbing for a barn conversion as the owner practically begged me to do it (I let slip in conversation I had plumbed my own new build) That one turned into a nightmare as I couldn't get the drains to hold pressure at all for the pressure test (someone else had laid the drainage before I got to the job) I still don't know how they got that one passed by building control.

So now I'll help out with plumbing but won't do a complete install, particularly if building control are involved.

I've done bathrooms & kitchens before now...

I have no worries about doing a bit of plumbing if I can get a bit of money for it...

often you can more for your time with your plumbing hat on than you can with your electric hat on!

DIY'es seem more frightened of plumbing than electrics!

The biggest problem IMHO is if you are not doing much plumbing its not cost effective to keep a selection of fittings...

15mm / 22mm Thro Compression/Solder/Push-fit

15mm / 22mm Eblow Compression/Solder/Push-fit

15mm / 22mm Tee Compression/Solder/Push-fit

15mm / 22mm Reducer Compression/Solder/Push-fit

15mm / 22mm Iso valves / Stop taps Compression/solder/push-fit

Metric / Imperial Solder fittings

etc....

How many of each do you need to keep so you don't get caught out in mid-job!

AND if you have got to work in copper pipe.....

It can become an expensive amount of stock you have to carry!?

:C

As far as the stock goes I'm there with the plumbing stuff for 15mm copper compression & solder, & speedfit plastic, including pipe, 40mm & 32mm solvent weld waste, valves etc. for the Dialysis work, I also have to carry 10" filter assemblies, double check valves, prv's and some other odd ball things, so i know YES it does get expensive!

We mah be having to change the supply methods soon, so, we will have an air break weir, thus I may have to up my stocks to include 22mm as well :(

As far as stock levels go, I tend to keep at a minimum stock of 10-12 of each for a basic install or breakdowns.

Anything more and I will go through the approximate pipe routes etc. in my head and make a fittings list and stock up accordingly for that job, just like the electrical side really what is left over is then put into general stock.

I did this gradually over time job by job, until the change over from copper to polymer which I had to do in one hit!

Bit of a big investment in stock that one especially as it was a large job!

HTH

Latest posts