Fitting An Ide Drive In A Sata Only Pc

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK I have a new HP Pro pc running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. It only has 4 SATA slots on the motherboard. One is used for the HDD and the other for the DVD leaving 2 spare.

I want (wanted?) to fit my old C: drive from my XP Pro machine. It's got a few issues tbh and though it works is SO slow it probably need Windows reinstalling etc. I tried networking it with the new pc but really I want all the data readily accessible.

So I purchased a bi-directional IDE to SATA Adapter from Maplin, this one:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ide-to-sata-or-sata-to-ide-adaptor-348037

I found that the new HP PC only had bracketry for ONE HDD mounted vertically so I knocked a frame up to fit from an old cast off from a server at work.

I've now fitted the old IDE HDD in the new pc, plugged in the adapter then connected up the power and SATA leads as per the instructions. The SATA lead goes into a spare SATA slot on the board. BUT the new PC though WON'T see the IDE drive - not in Disc Management etc. The green LED on the adapter lights and that's about it. I've even tried the IDE jumpers on Master, Slave, Cable Select and even no jumper. The switch on the adapter is to "IDE to SATA" but I've tried the other way too. In the photo the SATA HDD is above and the IDE one below

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z346/clicon357/DSC00539.jpg

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you SURE that really can be used either way?

I did this once, but the other way round, connected a SATA drive to an IDE (pata) motherboard.

I remember when I looked for adaptors (about £5 on ebay) you bought either a Sata to Pata OR a Pata to Sata, those ones would not convert both ways. 

So I wonder if yours really does do both ways? and if so do you have to configure it to tell it which way it's converting?

Are you SURE that really can be used either way?

I did this once, but the other way round, connected a SATA drive to an IDE (pata) motherboard.

I remember when I looked for adaptors (about £5 on ebay) you bought either a Sata to Pata OR a Pata to Sata, those ones would not convert both ways. 

So I wonder if yours really does do both ways? and if so do you have to configure it to tell it which way it's converting?
According to the bumpf that comes with it it shows two configurations with the slide switch set accordingly. I'll scan and post later the info.

I'm new on here and am interested to learn that there is such a bi-directional adapter Sata to Pata. Thanks guys.