Fitting ceiling roses

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

androiduk2002

Reaction score
Been running through things in my head a bit today, when installing ceiling roses do you :

A) Try to get at least 1 fixing into a joist.

B) Use self drilling plasterboard fixings.

C) Use a piece of 6 X 1 fixed inbetween the 2 nearest joists with a hole drilled through for cables.

D) Or do you have a differant method ?

Reasons why I ask , I was considering the plasterboard fixings but they would protude above the plasterboard leaving the sharp tips exposed with a possible risk (all be it small) of catching the cables.

Many thanks for any and all replies.

any of your suggestions do

if first fixing i try to use the joists or put batten in

if its can you put this lovely metal fitting up which is heavy and nowhere near a joist then metal plasterboard fixings do the job

above all always leave lots of spare cable in the void for the next sparky to pull down and work with

i use an 1 1/2x8 screw. if it holds, its good, if it doesnt, take screw out, put riva into hole made by screw, then screw into that and your done

I have used all of the methods that you have mentioned.

With regard to the sharp pointy bit of the Plasterboard fixing...

You can remove that with a pair of pliers. After you have screwed it in, simply unscrew it and remove the Sharp end, then simply re-screw it back in.

Don't lose any sleep over the" sharp pointy bits " for a start, life is too short.

Really all light fittings should be next to a joist or on a purpose fixed noggin at first fix.

Talking of ceiling roses , always buy the ones with the big square hole in the base and the four fixing holes , two in the centre and two off centre . BG make them like that, using the offset holes in the joist leaves the full square hole for the cables .

When using dry wall fixings it also depends on how big the hole the cable coming through the ceiling is, coz if it's a wee bit big then when you try to put the dry wall fixing in it can cause the plaster to split and open up and before you know it, you havn't much board to attatch to. Even after a pilot hole. Thats what i've heard anyway. :innocent

When using dry wall fixings it also depends on how big the hole the cable coming through the ceiling is, coz if it's a wee bit big then when you try to put the dry wall fixing in it can cause the plaster to split and open up and before you know it, you havn't much board to attatch to. Even after a pilot hole. Thats what i've heard anyway. :innocent
Ian Speirs

aka Mr no nails ???? :good night: ;)

All pendants should now be fixed in a position that would be able to carry substantial weight, which i think is up to 5Kg.

So, whatever you do, DONT fix to just plasterboard.

There is a reg but i cant be arsed to find it.

All pendants should now be fixed in a position that would be able to carry substantial weight, which i think is up to 5Kg.So, whatever you do, DONT fix to just plasterboard.

There is a reg but i cant be arsed to find it.
O.K. I will do it for you ; \

Last edited by a moderator: