fitting new bathroom lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the ceiling rose was earthed, can i run a wire from that to the new fitting to earth that too? or should it not be earthed from the previous fitting?Also basic question- I know all wires have different colours but are they all the same wires just colour coded so that everyone knows where they go?

sorry I am trying to be a decorator, joiner, gardener, tiler, electrician all at once in our new place- but I will bloody do it!! Might be old and wrinkly by then but what the hay :)
COLOURS:-

Colour coding for cables changed a few years ago...

but the should be:-

OLD

Red = Live

Black = Neutral

Black with Red tape or sleeve = Switched live.

Green/Yellow = Earth.

NEW

Brown = Live

Blue = Neutral

Blue with Brown tape or sleeve = Switched live

Green/Yellow = Earth

BUT!!!!

some times some naughty DIY people don't use the proper colours!!! :_| :_| :_|

so you would need a test meter to verify which is live & neutral etc....

EARTHS:-

If the light fitting says..

"CLASS 2"

"CLASS II"

"Double Insulated"

or has a double concentric square symbol..

it doesn't actually need an earth connection!?

otherwise it does! :|

Thanks everyone

I thought I was going to self combust earlier but all is good now- you have all been a great help and seem like a good bunch of guys, thanks- there is no worse feeling than not knowing your arse from your elbow , fingers crossed I will get it earthed tomorrow- just need to steal a bit of wire from something ]:)

Some class2/II DI fittings do give you a place to terminate the earth even tho it doesn't strictly earth the fitting!
Very true Patch...

I was just trying to point out, assuming all loop cables are continue through in a choc box or similar...

if the fitting is class2/II its not life or death if the earth wire is forgoten...

(personally I wouldn't...

and IMHO its not good practice but not a major safety issue if a class 2 item don't have an earth wire going to it.)

:)

Thanks everyoneI thought I was going to self combust earlier but all is good now- you have all been a great help and seem like a good bunch of guys, thanks- there is no worse feeling than not knowing your arse from your elbow , fingers crossed I will get it earthed tomorrow- just need to steal a bit of wire from something ]:)
1. They are a good bunch of guys. (& gals!Blushing)

But the Guinea pig can go off the rails a bit!!!!:pGuiness DrinkROTFWL

2. Arse & Elbow only becomes a problem when going to the doctors to look at your problem with "Tennis Elbow"!!! :eek: :p;\

Latest posts