Fixing brackets to slate roofs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KME,

how close is your roofer normally fitting brackets?

every joist?

BTW, love the fitting system on the sharps, just hang them on the rail waiting to be clamped, :)

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:42 ----------

EDIT, Im supposed to be near newcastle next week, this is picking up for us too,

one 2 weeks ago, one this week, and now next week too,

just need money sorting now. :|

From what I gathered he meant it does not have simple separation, this separation has been provided by other means by the manuf.

Transformerless which I think we are talking about here are generally more efficient so could be why they have been selected.

I took non-galvanic to be transformerless as often these terms go together.

I suspect then that non-galvanic means no electrical separation, as galvanic separation is often taken to mean separation between to different voltages etc.

We'll have to wait for KME to confirm I guess.

Confirmed as transformerless.

Link: http://www.solaredge.com/groups/products/overview

The reason for use:

Each MODULE is provided with its own "energy controller", determining the Mpp for that particular panel.

The controllers are string configured, as normal.

The controllers only produce 1VDC, to prove operation, until the inverter addresses them.

So, any single module which may be subject to shading, doesn`t affect the rest of the array at all - efficiency figures are through the roof for this system.......

And the inverters are net-controllable & interrogatable, so any issues can be determined off-site.

Its cool kit.

Paddler: I am ~"beware-ing" mate - The same company provide (obviously) photocopied purple NICEIC DEIC forms, with the ser. no. tipp-exed out.....these guys obviously spare no expense... :slap

Be interesting to see the AE`s response to that bit.....

Off now, alarm set for 6 ish - 2 hrs+ to job!!!!

TTFN

KME

Sounds like a comprise between one inverter and micro inverters then, sounds like it will be a very efficient system!

Sounds like a comprise between one inverter and micro inverters then, sounds like it will be a very efficient system!
and cheaper to boot. Need to check up on transformer start-up details to see if system will cope with major shading issues - sort of stuff that shuts down half the array at any one time/ split arrays /really awkward roofs etc etc.

Most inverters are now electrically isolating - only the older less efficient stuff isn't that I have seen. Galvanic stuff is high frequency transformerless design - customer did explain it to me, but went over head and far away :^O

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:01 ----------

Update:The "lead dressing" idea" in action (other bonus - it was raining; so flashband wouldn`t have stuck anyway!!!)

View attachment 2496View attachment 2497
Beware of flexing brackets and cracking slates underneath ie don't stand on the rails!!

Very interesting thread, I was keen to see how people are working with Slate roofs.

Ref the transformer/transformerless thing. The transformer is to prevent any DC voltage getting onto the grid, so it is an issue for the DNO. The NICEIC course I went on (two weeks ago) took pains to emphasise that the DNO must be contacted for approval if a non transformer inverter is being connected even if the manufacturer says it is OK....

BTW, love the fitting system on the sharps, just hang them on the rail waiting to be clamped, :)

|
Thought you didn't like Sharps Steps??? So what's this about a fitting system, Iwould appear to have missed something or Sharp have chnaged some design point. Did once get supplied 'anti-slip' bolts by a wholsaler which fitted to the drainage holes which seemed a good idea.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:42 ----------

Very interesting thread, I was keen to see how people are working with Slate roofs.Ref the transformer/transformerless thing. The transformer is to prevent any DC voltage getting onto the grid, so it is an issue for the DNO. The NICEIC course I went on (two weeks ago) took pains to emphasise that the DNO must be contacted for approval if a non transformer inverter is being connected even if the manufacturer says it is OK....
All inveretrs have to be G83 compliant, so I think your course lecturer is being a bit predantic, but there is never any harm in registering a job with DNO prior to install.

Most of my competition is now avoiding slate roofs - so many customers, not enough time, so sticking to larger installs and concrete tiles. This is leaving a nice hole in the market to stick prices up for slate which does also reflect addtional time to install system. We are now doing 2 jobs per week, only likely poor weather, and paperwork hassle is preventing us from expanding further, plus I don't want to get to April next year and have to dispand a team when I've just got them trained up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are little nylon wheels, supplied with nuts & bolts, to bolt onto the back of the panel....then you just hang them on the rail, and slide them along - brilliant on the steeper pitches.

Latest posts