Flickering Led Lights When Dimmed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob3000

Reaction score
I have some12V halogen downlights in a kitchen which are controlled with a dimmer switch.  I have replaced the halogen lamps with 12v LED dimmable lamps but the problem now is that when they are dimmed they flicker.

After some research I have found that a trailing edge dimmer switch should be used with LED lights, could this be the problem?

I have also read that a LED driver should be used as opposed to a 12v transformer, do these not do the same thing (step down the mains voltage to 12v for the lamps)?

Any advice appreciated

Trial and error, some more expensive LED 12V lamps will work with existing low voltage transformers and generally they will state "Direct Replacement Retro Fit", other's may work but may not. We have found Philips Master LED good for this.

Also some LED lamps require trailing edge others leading edge, some both and some software driven, it's a case of getting a match and staying with it until the lamp manufacturer or dimmer manufacturer change the specification then you start all over again.

I have used those dimmers but you need to be careful on the number of lamps  connected.

I have had problems with flickering when connecting >12 lamps.

This has been mentioned on a previous posting.

I have some12V halogen downlights in a kitchen which are controlled with a dimmer switch.  I have replaced the halogen lamps with 12v LED dimmable lamps but the problem now is that when they are dimmed they flicker.

After some research I have found that a trailing edge dimmer switch should be used with LED lights, could this be the problem?

I have also read that a LED driver should be used as opposed to a 12v transformer, do these not do the same thing (step down the mains voltage to 12v for the lamps)?

Any advice appreciated
In addition to what has already been said, dimmers have a minimum and maximum power rating, it has always been the case that when the load is too small that the dimmer will cause flickering on a low setting. A traditional 60w / 250w rated dimmer will flicker if only powering one 25w GLS candle lamp. Whereas 3x25w candle lamps wont. Add up the power rating of your LED's and compare it against the existing dimmer. 99% of the time when retro fitting dimming LED's you will need to fit a new dimmer switch as well.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would not the above statement add to the problem?

LED's work on DC, the output of a transformer is AC, a "LED driver" has an output of pure DC.

Only asking.