Fluke 1654 vs megger 1730

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! this seem to be a long tread. Have not read every comment but basically the support you get behind thje test instrument is important. If you only ocassionally use the tester them you are unlikely to encounter many problems. In this case go for the cheapest option.

However if you do a lot of testing you need to consider how you get the readings from the instrument to the software. You need to consider if it breaks down, how good is the repair service.

Nest, you should consider how robust is it.

My experience is with a lot of different test instruments. Many are much easier to use than the leading 2, Fluke and Megger. Some have entered the market and have fallen away due to not being robust enough. Seaward make the best PAT instruments but are not industry leading in installation testers. Martindale tried to make a very good and compact instrument but theirs have poor reliability. I used to use Flukes but stopped after one of my instruments broke and I found the support atrocious. As I teach others Inspection and Testing I stopped recommending Flukes. One of my student had a problem with the 165 series. Again, Fluke were hopeless but we sorted that one out. Have a look at the HT series. I am sure you can program it to walk around the site by itself :slap .

I have found Megger very proactive and have used a lot of their education posters in my training too.

Hummm. I only visited this site to see  could sell my 1720 as I had just bought a 1730 to test type A RCDs.