Fluke, Metrel, Kewtech MFT

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam1984

Reaction score
Hi,

I am after my first ever MFT. I have narrowed it down to the following and would like your suggestions good or bad. I will only be using it for Domestic work.

Fluke 1651b

Metrel MI3000 Easi Plus

Alphatek Easitest MI2087 AL2

Kewtech KT61

At college we only ever used Kewtech but they were a bit battered.

Any help is much appreciated.

Adam

Contact forum sponsor Megger Mark, he will be able to talk to you about what requirements you have and advise you accordingly

Andy

I like Metrel, and had no probs with the last couple I've had, though I now have a MI3000 and have a few issues with it, primarily whenever you hit the test button it does everything but!!! Seems like the panel under the buttons has slipped slightly.

You gets what you pay for I guess!

I used fluke for years but got annoyed as the leads are rubbish then got metrel alphatek and iv had that for 3 years and the leads are great and it hasn't strayed too far away the last 2 calibration.

My next one though will be Megger

I am in the process of buying this one Kewtech KT65, should I be changing my mind, just qualified and budget of

Megger mft 1730 superb bit of kit in my opinion better than the fluke I have

Get ready for the barrage of abuse I'm about to receive here lol

I have tried a Fluke and didn't like it,, however I do get on very well with my Megger 1502

IMHO try as many of the ones you are considering out (that you can get your hands on) and go with what "suits you sir"

Check the demos out on YouTube Megger do one for the 1730 so I'm guessing others do the same u can see from there what does what and what the others do better/worse

I had the same predicament not that long ago! My first choice was megger, but my budget would not stretch that far. I use a kewtech kt65 at work and found it ok but not robust enough. So it was either a metrel or fluke. I done lots of research and eventually decided on the fluke 1652c and I can't fault it! I'm really pleased and got a great deal. Well worth the money.....

Ok my gripe with Megger was the 1720 I purchased recently had to go back with in a month or so for a firmware update so it would not trip rcd's..........even though it came to me with a cal cert? It cant do what its meant to yet it is cal'd and certed as ok.

As Noz said the 1502 from Megger was a fine meter, never owned one myself but did use one for a while.

I have both the Megger 1720 & the Fluke 1653 & I do sway towards the Fluke..........same with the DDM & Clamp meter both are Fluke.

Get a fluke, the new leads are far superior to the old set, and this was about all i had to main about so now I'm very happy. (I know easily pleased!)

The truth is I worked with an outfit that used the Meggers and to be honest wasn't impressed by them. The outfit wasn't too bad either !!!

Fluke or Megger (latest version) are good as is the Kewtech 63/64/65 but not the 61 or 62.

Metrel are ok til it goes wrong.

Well, I had a 1730 from Megger Mark and i cannot fault it really.. Only thing that could/should be improved, is when you are testing, you can store all the results. It asks you what job, DB, circuit, phase, blah blah. Only problem is, it gives you a choice of phase 1, 2, or 3, If you are testing BETWEEN phases, there is no way to store, say, L1-L2. This is a right pain....

john..