Metrel MI3000 EasiPlus

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Reaction score
I have had this meter for about two months now and thought it might be helpful to share my personal impressions.

First impressions were pretty good - not a bad looking unit, logically laid out controls and feels pretty robust.

The meter, as supplied, comes with a full set of leads, including a standard 13 amp pug top lead. The unit comes in a nicely thought out soft carry case, which has ample space for all leads, the manual, battery charger and some to spare.

Unlike some Metrel units, this one is not supplied with the Tip Commander (equivalent of the big red Megger probe) nor can I see that it accepts this as an accessory. However the lead set supplied includes Alligator clips and probe covers - so most eventualities are catered for.

As expected, the full set of 17th Edition tests is catered for. The controls are fairly logical and the various menus will keep you occupied for hours - dreaming up new test combinations. The large backlit display is easy to read - even my myopic wife would not struggle here.

So, all in all, a pretty happy customer. Or, at least, I was......Until I tried to use the Trip Lock facility.

Taking a reading from a socket, protected by a RCD spur, I got an initial reading well above expectations. After diligently checking all connections, the reading had not changed. This prompted me to undertake my own little 'bench test'; using the Normal and No-Trip ranges and testing from a socket which is not RCD protected. Lo and behold, the No-Trip range consistently reads 1.5 ohms greater than the standard.

After initially contacting the supplier, I was quickly redirected to Metrel themselves. After two emails and after not being able to get them on the phone (they never seem to be open, when I get the chance to call) I can say that the customer service from both supplier and manufacturer is not 'World Class'!!!

Obviously, it could be that I'm doing something wrong (although, if I am, then the test process is incorrectly documented - because I'm following it to the letter). Equally, it could be that I've just got a rogue unit. If that's the case, then I'll be taking advantage of the 3 year warranty (if I can ever get a response from Metrel, that is!)

This is a budget meter and, as they say, you get what you pay for. It does, indeed, perform most tests easily and accurately - although, I bet you'll be longing for a Tip Commander after a couple of days with it. Notwithstanding this, I do not think it unreasonable to expect that a new meter, with a calibration certificate, should be capable of conducting the full range of tests accurately.

The saving over an equivalent Megger, or Fluke is, indeed, very tempting. And it is this, I guess, which will sway many buying decisions (my own included). Don't get me wrong - I'm certainly not unhappy with this meter. However, hindsight, as they say, is a wonderful thing! With hindsight, I actually wish I'd spent a few quid extra.

Ive never had any problem with the metrel testers,

but, I do understand your points on the no trip test, most testers will in fact read high on this setting, this is why I have now started more and more to do R1 R2 and calculate as well as Zs such circuits.

Thank you gents. Real world road test results are very valuable for any person considering purchasing any new tools or meters.

Doc H.

Ive never had any problem with the metrel testers,but, I do understand your points on the no trip test, most testers will in fact read high on this setting, this is why I have now started more and more to do R1 R2 and calculate as well as Zs such circuits.
I agree Steptoe; in all other respects, I'm really happy with the purchase - i think that the no-trip thing has affected my objectivity.

As you say, a lot of meters struggle with this and, like you, I think there's still no replacement for a proper R1 R2.

If memory serves, I think another brand of meter had a similar issue, which they fixed via a firmware update. One good thing about the Metrel is that it can be upgraded via a PC connection - so if it's a common problem, a fix may well come along.

On balance, I do think that this really is good value. If you buy it, not putting too much weight on the no-trip facility, I'm sure you'll have no complaints.

Very useful post :)

I have just done a quick check with my Metrel and got: Zs (rcd)=0.32 and Ze (R1+R2)=0.37 on the same circuit

the other day i got 1.52 for zs on a socket on no trip current, but after i bi-passed the 2module rcd, i got a new reading of 0.38. I always wonder if there is some resistance in the rcd electronics which adds to the zs, but you cannot ohms test this without the rcd tripping off even though the power is switched off.

Agree with Nozler most low current loop testers are not that accurate although my Fluke 1652 seems to give constant results that are not far out. I think the old Robin yellow box testers with d-lok that put 25 amp down circuit are more accurate but i personally am not happy using them if electronic stuff is plugged in and as i mainly use RCBO's they trip these out so generally stick with my Fluke and are happy putting my results down on a test sheet.

Latest posts