Fluke T5-1000

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveT

Reaction score
Just bought a brand new Fluke T5-1000 on ebay (UK spec) for

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good deal, we have it on our site at 89.00 ish plus the vat.

A proving unit is a stand-alone device; which will generate the voltage necessary for "proving" your "voltage-indicating-device" is working. It really doesn`t care what is touched to its terminals.

A good little tester, i have had mine for around 4 years,

I like a voltage tester with an LCD display, so i can see exactly whats present

A good little tester, i have had mine for around 4 years,I like a voltage tester with an LCD display, so i can see exactly whats present
Defo know what you mean mate. I've got the cheaper fluke with the LEDs that show what voltage is present but I'd rather see a display showing exact voltage like yours does. Which is why I'd rather use me cheapo

Now I`m afraid I`m on the "other bus" here....

I don`t NEED to know exactly how much voltage is there - TBH I wouldn`t be "testing" for voltage unless I already knew what ought to be there. If I do require a voltage reading, I wouldn`t use a voltage indicator, I`d use the MFT on voltage range. I can`t see the reasoning in having a piece of kit that has "added facilities" I`d never use / rely on.

KME

I'm with KME on this.

Voltage indicator for just that indication, for safe isolation primarily, or very basic fault finding, trip gone (when it's a long way from me), fuse blown etc.

Anything more complex, multi meter / clamp / mft comes out if I need to "measure" anything.

I will confess however to realising this after getting a KEWTech 1710 & realising that I don't need the voltage readout!

i dipped my t5 1000 into my proving unit today as i was thinking about this thread and i have only ever used my proving unit with my martindale.

the result was 857V DC.

does this tester trip out rcd's when testing L-E?

also, what size cable can you fit between the prongs? would it fit 16mm tails for example?

Now I`m afraid I`m on the "other bus" here....I don`t NEED to know exactly how much voltage is there - TBH I wouldn`t be "testing" for voltage unless I already knew what ought to be there. If I do require a voltage reading, I wouldn`t use a voltage indicator, I`d use the MFT on voltage range. I can`t see the reasoning in having a piece of kit that has "added facilities" I`d never use / rely on.

KME
You beat me to it KME!!!