Fp 200 Cable Split/perished

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switch10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi i'm looking for some advice, I was asked to check some faults on a fire alarm last week and whilst the below problem was not linked to the faults I have a few questions.

there is over 1200 meters of FP red fire cable installed externally in the premises in question and the cables has lost colour, and the outer case has split/perished. these cables I was told were installed 7 years ago.  looking at the FP specifications this cable is good for - conditions that this area would be unlikely to have .

just wondered if anyone has any advice, as I am going to recommend the replacement of the cables but wondered why this may of happened and how to stop if I replace them.

I HAVE TRIED TO ATATCH SOME PICTURES BUT THEY KEEP FAILING TO UPLOAD

Andy I am reading your comment as saying I'm not competent ? But harsh if you ask me seeing as I have installed lots of pyro.

It does say FP 200 on cable in some areas I'm able to read. But couldn't possibly tell as never installed it

Is the degradation even along the entire length of the cable or is it just in certain places?

My primary suspects would be extreme heat or UV light or maybe if it was in contact with expanded styrofoam which could cause certain polymers to leech. I'm not sure though if FP200 would be specifically prone to this type of chemical action.

Thanks for the reply marvo. The degrading is even along its length. All cable run externally and again spec sheet details shows it should be able to cope with the heat and low temperatures we get. But they don't mention any life span of it outside . I will contact them and see what I can find out.

Thanks for all replies i have just spoken to manufacturers and they have said its deteriorated to uv exposure and outside FP cable should be white to stop colour fade but have not answerd about the cable cracking

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't the cracking just be another symptom of the UV deterioration? Most of the cables we use the outdoor or UV stabilised versions are nearly always black and the indoor non-UV stable version is white, not sure why this would be different for the FP cable...

black is achieved by mixing carbon into the pvc - it naturally offers UV resistance by basically being 'sun-block'. If the cable has split then it is compromised and needs replacing whether that be by UV degradation or a.n.other cause.