Solic 200 problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intheshire

Reaction score
Hi all looking for some advice please

I have installed a wireless solic 200 , it seems to be having some issues

A) almost every day it switches into 'overheat' mode , two red lights on the box , won't come back on until breaker is tripped on and off , or you have to press the boost button twice

B) it's importing power , at least according to the smart meter , between 80w-170w all the time it's running

We have a basic old fashioned grid tie PV system, 4kw of panels, 3.6kw sma sunny boy inverter, no batteries or anything like that

Solic is wired in correctly , I have triple checked, CT clamp is round the meter tails in the consumer unit , arrow is in the correct direction,

Other than there two issues it's actually working great , fantastic to have free hot water ( well almost free with it importing for some reason! )

Have I got a faulty unit? Any suggestions/ advice appreciated!

Curiouser and curiouser

Solic 200 turned on , making hot water, full sun on the solar

Smart meter says we are importing 100w-160w

Amp clamp on the meter tails reads 6.7~ amps , 6.8x240v=1632w ... 1.63kw . Obviously doesn't tell me which direction the amps are going

I am confused !

IMG_20230607_163854.jpgIMG_20230607_163906.jpg

Do the lights all show green on the Solic ?

Yes , both lights on solic show green , wireless sender light flashes red/green when working , as expected

Did you run through the set up procedure correctly?

Yes if I remember right you have to calibrate the thing by turning PV off , and run something in the house like a kettle so it learns which way is which

I followed it step by step , but there is a chance I've missed something?

Thank you both

ditto, except it was several parts on the last one i looked at :-(

Yes , both lights on solic show green , wireless sender light flashes red/green when working , as expected

Yes if I remember right you have to calibrate the thing by turning PV off , and run something in the house like a kettle so it learns which way is which

I followed it step by step , but there is a chance I've missed something?

Thank you both
Possibly other loads in the house running at the time, like your computer or fridge. It's been quite a while since I fitted one of these, but I would repeat the calibration procedure with everything turned off bar a load like the kettle - you can do that by switching MCBs off in the board to make life easier.

I think they calibrate themselves, as the CT input just looks for a sign change in current flow. The quick way to do it is as per instructions but it is constantly monitoring so it has to adjust anyway, else it would be useless. I set one of the old ones up for a customer using the other mode where it has to be exporting X watts (100W in that case) before diverting to ensure their battery had charge priority without any complicated shenanigans.
Cheers
Stu

Latest posts