Full Email & Website Hosting (Personal)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well,

We have a NAS here (Synology), it is on a fixed ip at the moment.

I am looking at moving ISP's we will still have a fixed ip, but we will loose our current personal isp email addy's.

e.g. "[email protected]" (not our actual emails, just an example).

So, for our personal email addy's as the isp does not provide any, we will need to sort our own.

The company email addy's are sorted.

I can register a domain name.

Is it possible with the "free" Synology apps to run an email server that will accept incoming & send outgoing emails on the domain name addresses, i.e. "[email protected]" and allow us to pull these down with Outlook, say as an IMAP mail server?

Also, would it be possible to say have a personal family website hosted on the Synology, e.g. "www.ourdomain.domainname", the family then could perhaps have their own pages that they could publish from there.

The Synology box security passes the DSM 5.x inbuilt security checks for Business Level security, so hopefully it should be OK.

Anyone got any thoughts, advise, done this etc.?

Thanks.

i use synology for both website and emails with a .co.uk domain

mail server has both POP3 & IMAP, although i only use POP3. no problems connecting to it from outlook or blackberry. emails can also be accessed by web based client

entire thing is very simple to setup / configure. bought the nas for something else, then added email / website after finding out how easy it was

you need 'mail server' for the emails which also needs 'perl' to run. if you want to get emails via web client, you need 'mail station'

for hosting website, no apps needed, go to 'web services' in control panel

you will also need MX & A records etc to point to your IP, along with relevant port forwards on your router to the synology's IP address

OK, I have Perl & MaiServer running.

I have heard of the MX & A records, but know nothing about them.

The port forwarding is not a problem, I can set that up through the Draytek without too much issue I believe.

Is it easy sorting the records and how?

atm, my old web hosting provider is doing domain, MX & A records. If you dont already have a domain etc, your probably best asking canoe to help with that

port forwarding straight forward, just go to router and set xx port to forwards to nas IP, i.e port 110 to 192.168.2.50. you nas will also need a static IP. you need to open whichever ports you need. POP3 & IMAP use different ones

you dont do anything with perl, once installed forget about it. everything is done from mail server.

also, best set auto block etc, and make sure you need a password to send an email, otherwise you will get people trying to send mails from your server (control panel, security, autoblock)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a domain, but a different one to that which I want to use for this.

I can sort the port forwarding through the Draytek done it already for some other apps.

Now have my own "dropbox" here @ home without using "DropBox", the only thing is it is not quite as instant, and does not have the auto-upload bit.

NAS already as a static ip on our network.

As I say ports I can sort, I am thinking though that IMAP might be better.

Though POP does have its advantages.

I was erring toward IMAP TBH.

I'll try the Synology web server then.

I have it installed along with Perl.

Just need to decide on a domain name now for our personal emails.

Then once that is working we can get our blinkin broadband sorted!

I did some digging on the records on 123 reg last night and found some how to's, it looks relatively simple, just like me! ;)

Got the MX & A records set up OK.

Got the reverse DNS set up after requesting to ISP.

Could send internal emails OK.

Could not send & receive external emails.

Checked firewall settings in router/modem, all ports set OK.

No sending and receiving.

Waited a day or two for things to "propagate" & tried.

Still nothing.

Then remembered that there are two firewalls to set.

The FW in the Syology, is set to block all IP's apart from those in the UK.

So try sending & receiving between UK based addresses, OK! ;)

Unblocked the email ports only on the Synology and it seems to work!!! ;)

So, I think sorted.

Time will tell, need to see if I can get off the remaining Rats Dyna spam DB now, if it is needed.

Latest posts