Fuse On Lighting Circuit Not Working Help Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidmichael

Reaction score
Can someone help me troubleshoot please. I had a sparky add some additional ceiling wiring (only first install so he hasn't connected anything yet)  for kitchen fan, bathroom fan and  he removed the old style lighting circuit fuse from the old circuit board (which he will upgrade next month). As my workman has been drilling and screwing battens to the concrete ceiling for plasterboards I wanted to check the circuit before plastering over the boards just in case the drill damaged a ceiling cable which I am told are deeply embedded and in steel trunking. Its an old block of flats. So I separated  the ends of all the ceiling wires which were not yet connected to fans etc. so that there was sufficient gaps between live earth and neutral. Then I put a circuit breaker in the lighting socket and flipped it to the on position. after about 3 seconds it tripped. I scouted around in case there were any other wires I had not separated and surely enough found the bathroom switch cable  which I had missed. Once done I flipped the lighting circuit switch back to the on position and although the fuse was on the lighting circuit was not on. I know that the ceiling circuit was working from a previous attempt.

Any ideas? I tested the trip switch with a continuity tester  and it has continuity on the "on" position. Is it possible that a pin or wire or other part has melted behind the fuse socket?

Just for your info there are no residents in the flat and I was alone when testing the circuit. I also remove the fuse completely after testing.

Here is an image of the fuse box without the circuit breaker. Thanks for your help.

Screen Shot 2015-12-21 at 20.22.52.png

This is your idea of testing? I'd suggest you go and do another course and learn the correct procedures before you do yourself or someone else serious harm. Alternatively move to America and trade as the bang test I believe is still used there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might it have occurred to you to test the wiring with an insulation tester? Did they not show you how to use one on your short course?

Or did they actually teach you to plug it in, energise it and see where the smoke escapes from?

And how did you plug a circuit breaker into a blank that has no holes?

I would say it'll not be long before the OP is dead or up on manslaughter charges but people this stupid are generally the luckiest people on earth.

Still, at least we have part p.... oh, well at least the scams are making it known........ well I suppose the ESC is doing something about it..... never mind then.

If I were to meet him I'd treat him with the respect he deserves but when he posts such dangerous posts and shows such little respect to those whose houses he works in as a diyer and such little respect for his own life let alone those guests who may read such posts, then a clear distinction needs to be made as to his abilities.

With respect.

......So I separated  the ends of all the ceiling wires which were not yet connected to fans etc. so that there was sufficient gaps between live earth and neutral. Then I put a circuit breaker in the lighting socket and flipped it to the on position. after about 3 seconds it tripped. I scouted around in case there were any other wires I had not separated and surely enough found the bathroom switch cable  which I had missed. Once done I flipped the lighting circuit switch back to the on position and although the fuse was on the lighting circuit was not on. I know that the ceiling circuit was working from a previous attempt.
Chances are there was a fault and when you made the circuit live you've caused more damage. You're lucky in a lot of ways, you've still got a full compliment of fingers and eyebrows. Doing stupid things like that can also cause fires or take out the DNO supply leaving your neighbours without power as well.

Don't go any further, remove the fuse or switch off the CU at the main isolator and get an electrician in to test the circuits and repair as necessary. If someone gets injured or killed, even if it's at a later date, by your actions then you'll find yourself in court and quite possibly facing jail time.