Tripped Switch But Now No Power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not trying to start an argument, but what would make another unit that fits without modification etc incompatible within any enclosure? I think it was wording by the manufacturers to ensure that only their products where used. šŸ˜œ

My money is on the manufacturers pushing for this to stop 3rd pay cheap products being used and hitting their revenue and profits

Not again! We've been through that several times.
We have, but no one has come up with a convincing reason of why the guidance is worded that way, except for the manufacturers protecting their niche in the market, and as SL says, "the installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufactures instructions" it does not say you can not mix and match equipment, can you use a Crabtree plug in an MK socket?

We have, but no one has come up with a convincing reason of why the guidance is worded that way, except for the manufacturers protecting their niche in the market, and as SL says, "the installation of electrical equipment shall take account of manufactures instructions" it does not say you can not mix and match equipment, can you use a Crabtree plug in an MK socket?
you can put a German person in a French car, but that doesn't mean you can fit French car parts to a German car.

I suggest you have a read of the late Mr Skyme's posts - Sidewinder as he was known on here.

Propriety car parts made in China are fitted to all makes of cars no matter the original manufacturers origin.

BS7671 or any other document does not say you can't put a different manufactures units into any CU, if someone can point out where is says that and not an interpretation I will stand to be corrected.

you can put a German person in a French car, but that doesn't mean you can fit French car parts to a German car.

I suggest you have a read of the late Mr Skyme's posts - Sidewinder as he was known on here.
Just to give some balance.
Technically I have a french van (Citroen) and it has Italian ( fiat) parts on it. With a Peugeot engine. How this relates to CU I've no idea

Propriety car parts made in China are fitted to all makes of cars no matter the original manufacturers origin.

BS7671 or any other document does not say you can't put a different manufactures units into any CU, if someone can point out where is says that and not an interpretation I will stand to be corrected.
More adding balance. As you stated if it states follow manufacturer instructions and the instructions state you can only use their units then isn't this where it tells you. Just saying

manufacturers have to prove their boards are safe to use and compliant with standards. they are tested using their breakers. using a different manufacturer parts may not behave in the exact same way so if you want to use them its now up to you to prove that the mix will meet the product standards

And this has always been the case long before BS7671 decided to include it.

More adding balance. As you stated if it states follow manufacturer instructions and the instructions state you can only use their units then isn't this where it tells you. Just saying

Another interpretation, the Manufacturers instruction never say only use their products, they tell you how to install their products and what torque to use only.

Sorry you guys whichever side of the fence you sit, for me, if I can find an MCB which is correct mechanically, I'll fit it and use with no concerns, I can sleep in my bed at night.
That is your choice and is at your own risk and any liability or damage resulting from that choice ultimately rests with you.

It's a little bit different when it is done for a paying customer who will be looking for a scalp if it fails

Sorry you guys whichever side of the fence you sit, for me, if I can find an MCB which is correct mechanically, I'll fit it and use with no concerns, I can sleep in my bed at night.
Wash your mouth out. We are supposed to be giving professional advice.

That is your choice and is at your own risk and any liability or damage resulting from that choice ultimately rests with you.
Yes it does.

It's a little bit different when it is done for a paying customer who will be looking for a scalp if it fails
And how likely is a catastrophic failure fitting a BG MCB into an Schneider Consumer unit assuming they're mechanically matched.?

Makes you wonder how anyone survived with electrical installations 60 years ago, no RCD's, no MCB's, Wired Fuses, Cables insulated with rubber and amazingly a single colour for the earth cable.