Tripped Switch But Now No Power

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JabbaKane

Reaction score
Hi. My lawnmower recently caused the plug socket in the garage to trip and when I flipped the circuit breaker switch back on - which seems to control both the garage lights and the power socket - the lights are working fine but the power to the socket isn't working anymore.

I have a chest freezer plugged in to this socket and tested it by plugging in another appliance but still no power.

I'm not sure if there is a fuse in the wall socket that might've blown and might just need replacing so any advice on what to check or what could cause that to happen would be much appreciated...

Hi. The garage switch is showing down in the photo because I had the front panel of the socket off earlier, checking for a fuse.

When it is back in the ON position there is no power getting through but the lights are working

Hi.

Ok, so despite being in this house for 7 years, I've just checked the garage and found another circuit breaker! :eek:

This one had the "sockets" switch in the off/down position so I have now put that back up (as per the image below.) However, lights are still coming on but sockets still aren't getting any power!
PXL_20230811_071753252.jpg

The house is about 30 years old and since I never even noticed that box until this morning, I'm guessing it's the original box.

If I turn off the "lights" one, the lights go out (and came back on again.) Genuinely no idea what the two "heater" switches control since I'm not aware of any heaters in the garage!

I had a SIM problem with my house cu. Power tripped. I reset and nothing. I pressed the test button to trip the main switch. Turned off all the rcb then
turned back on the main trip switch then individual rcb. All worked fine though I couldn't for the life of me tell you what was the problem

I had a SIM problem with my house cu. Power tripped. I reset and nothing. I pressed the test button to trip the main switch. Turned off all the rcb then
turned back on the main trip switch then individual rcb. All worked fine though I couldn't for the life of me tell you what was the problem

Just tried this but still no joy, sadly...

If I needed to replace the MCB for the "Sockets" any idea what I would specifically need to buy?

Just tried this but still no joy, sadly...

If I needed to replace the MCB for the "Sockets" any idea what I would specifically need to buy?
A new board would be your best bet. You can only get breakers for an old board like the one you have second hand. So there's no guarantee they are any good. It might actually be a problem with the socket itself, which I would guess is the same age.

A new board would be your best bet. You can only get breakers for an old board like the one you have second hand. So there's no guarantee they are any good. It might actually be a problem with the socket itself, which I would guess is the same age.
Does that mean that there is no newer version equivalent of those breakers that I could put in instead or would that be ill-advised due to compatibility etc., and a new board would be needed?

apart from a reg saying you can't use another manufacrurer, you won't get another manufacturer of breaker to fit in there anyway, and QOE range is obsolete. used spares are available though

Ok, thanks for that clarification.

Just had another thought though - since there are two "heater" breakers that I have no idea what they are used for, could I take one of them out and replace it in the "sockets" breaker?