Gaining more experience.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisg1979

Reaction score
Just a few opinions and advice wanted on gaining more experience in the electrical trade.

I currently work for a large company who carry out all aspects of domestic electrical work, from small breakdowns, fault finding and rectification, to new installations and inspection and testing.

I gained my experience and qualifications (2382, 2391 etc) through the company but am essentially qualified as a domestic installer.

I've been doing it for 5 years now and deem myself to be competent at what I do and like to think that I am well thought of by my colleagues, most of whom are time served electricians.

My installation work has been assessed by the ECA as necessary for the companys registration and all feedback had been positive.

I love my work, and couldn't be happier that I was able to make the transition into this line of work, but now want to broaden my horizons and gain experience in commercial work as well as just domestic.

The company I work for have no intention of moving into this line of work and frankly I feel the time may be coming to move on.

I'm not claiming to be a qualified electrician, more a DI, am not wanting to prompt arguments or critisism for the way I got into this line of work, if I could turn back the clock I would but hey.

Just want a bit of advise on how to get into this field, ie do I need more qualifications or do I have what is needed and is it now experience that is required?

I work hard and am always willing to learn, do you think it possible that contractors would take me on with the quals/experience that I have?

Thanks in advance, Chris.

The principle is still the same, the only big difference is the containment. You just need the experience.

Do you just have 2391 & 2382? If this is the case you'd probably be looking at been set on as a electricians mate, personally I would be tempted to stick it out where you are and try persuade your company to pay for you to complete an NVQ level 3, granted this is not as good as 2360 etc but many older sparks i know have taken this route. Once completed you could get graded as a qualified electrician via JIB

as an alternative to an nvq you can get a letter of recommendation from an employer saying your the dogs for a jib card. thats what 4 lads at our place did, they have same thing on their cards; installation electrician and approved.

Wasn't sure they still accepted letters from employers thought this was a thing of the past?

they told me about a year ago about 10years worth of experience, that was after laughing at the girl for telling me I wasnt a spark, even though I was an NICEIC QS for the past 4 years.

Not interested in JIB - but believe with 2 successful assessments by NAPIT plus 2391 and Health and Safety test all criteria are met. If you have been personally assessed by the part p provider and have some evidence there might be a way forward.

Cheers for the replys chaps, looks like there are a couple of options moving forward.

Might be worth me seeing if I can get evidence that my work has been assessed, though it was our QS who showed the assessor the work.

Alternatively I was considering registering myself (get asked to do quite a bit of 'extra' work) to build up to going it alone. The only prob with this is I wouldn't be gaining the experience I mentioned in the original post.

Anyhoo, some decent food for thought!

was only 6 months ago. one of the lads, my dad actually managed to find his original "scroll" indentures for his apprenticeship with the whole, i promise blah blah, the other few lads had nothing apart from 17th in terms of paperwork, including our qs.

Latest posts