Garage Conversion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave4718

Reaction score
Helo again,

I have a customer who is converting his garage to a large kitchen, i have a few questions i would like to bounce around.

His main incommer is on his house side wall plastic box type about 6 meters from where the kitchen CU will be placed, his main CU is on the internal wall of the house.

Q) Can i henley block 25mm tails into the kitchen CU from the customer side of the meter, protected in plastic conduit or should this be SWA.

Q) The kitchen will have a ring main, 9kw water heater, Lighting circuit, electric oven with gas hob. the property currently has the usual rings lights shower etc, I dont think i will be in the realms of needing DNO approval for this increase of load???

Any suggestions will be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Are the actual number of people living in the property increasing. As generally it is the number of users not the number of circuits that affects the overall load of an installation. Think of family with 3 children in a property with 1 ring final compared to a divorced pensioner in a large house with 3 ring finals. The single ring property will probably be drawing more power than the three rings at the pensioners home. Can you not just extend existing circuits or go back to the existing CU? Do you intend burring these new tails or keeping them surface run?

Doc H.

No the customer does not want me upping floorboards and drilling holes in walls, He is happy with the outside route along his wall and into the Garage at about 40cm height. They are a couple with 2 small people under ten.

Dave, as your tails are going to be ITRO 6m long they will have to have their own OCPD. As for using tails or SWA that all depends on the run and what mechanical protection will be required due to external influences

What is the existing supply?

As has been said previously, we need certain amount of info before we can give the correctly structured advice.

A bit like me asking what size shirt my brother needs.....it`s going to depend on other things I haven`t told you....... ;)

"the property has the usual rings, lights, shower" ?!?!

Usual?

Which type of usual? I know some properties have the usual 3 or 4 existing final circuits, and others that have a dozen or more.

What OCPD is going on this?

What is the existing supply characteristic?

Earthing system, etc.......

The property was built around 10 years ago, it is an TNCS, circuits in the board are,

Up Ring with 6 twin sockets

down ring with 12 twin sockets

up lights x lights

down lights x 9 lights

shower at 9kw

cooker outlet

My plan was to put a 100A wylex isolator before the henley block

Thats not going to give OCPD though; which you`ll need for 6M

What is the likelihood of the 9KW water heater being in use at the same time as the 9KW shower?

If there`s already a cooker outlet, is that staying, or will it be redundant with the advent of the new kitchen?

Why not RCBo out of the DB, as a submain?

DNO? Depends on the service head, and the propensity for overload. IIRC, "summation" supplies are the best bet for >100 <TPN :)

KME

Been back to the customer, he is reluctant to the suggestion of taking a feed from his main DB as a sub main, what would you sugest for a over current protection from the main feed.He says the main ccoker feed will be staying.

I think you need a list of exactly what is in the property and what will be in the garage. Is this going to be a commercial type kitchen in the garage or will it be the only kitchen for the property.

Two things that should be banned in this country

1 Garages converted into rooms (as i am a petrol head)

2 Breast reductions.
+1In fact I think detached houses should be forced to include at least one garage. When was the last time you saw a house on "Grand Designs" that actually included a garage.

Myself, I find my double garage barely adequate. Next house I swear will have a tripple garage (which may well end up being larger than the rest of the house) but a man has to have workshops and space to do stuff.

• Is the Garage physically attached to the house? I am with Nozsparks here all the way, if you go down the route of a second C/U I think you are making more work there. It doesn't sound like the existing circuits are excessive, ie, only one ring main for the whole down stairs at present?..
  • Yes attached to the side of the house, no room in the current CU,customer dont want it changing
    Why not simply treat the Garage as if it were an extension, install a new ring main specifically for the new kitchen and perhaps extend the downstairs lighting circuit? Obviously ensuring your new circuits are mechanically protected, inspect and test the rest of the circuits as if you were to be installing a new C/U at the property but install a bigger C/U to account for your new circuits?
  • Needs a little more than a ring and lights. 9kw water heater cooker etc.

Have decided to put a wylex switch fuse 63A next to the meter, run 16mm tails through Galvanised flex waterproof pipe into a new CU. Does this meet with approval guys.