Gcse Maths Statistics / Tables

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My boy and his maths GCSE:

He did ZERO revision and got an A a year early at 15. He's then had the chance to re-take it to try and "improve" his grade (FFS in my day you couldn't get better than A but that was GCEs). Once again, in real terms he's done zero revision and once again he's got an A. At least he's consistent! Part of me's impressed he can do this without trying but then what could he do if he tried? The attitude from his maths teacher was more why didn't you get the A* than well done. 

Amazingly, because he's so far ahead he can even have another go in the Summer to try for the A*.

Now I thought that the school pushing him to re-take was so they could say they had got X amounts of A* for their league tables. BUT we were told tonight (by one teacher on the quiet) at parents evening that it's their FIRST result that goes on their results table? Anyone know if this is the case?

ah,

but would they count the A as his first result if it was a year early?

surely next year if he got an A* then that would be his first result that year?

just,,,,,,,,,,   wondering,  :C

:slap

EVERY single time I go to my sons school [its a primary btw] I find at least one spelling mistake made by the staff on labelling stuff,

Ive found a load of other mistakes too,

and,

I ALWAYS make a point of searching out the head [usually when he is with another parent etc] and pointing it out to him,

the wife dreads having to be with me at parents evenings etc,   :slap

:slap

EVERY single time I go to my sons school [its a primary btw] I find at least one spelling mistake made by the staff on labelling stuff,

Ive found a load of other mistakes too,

and,

I ALWAYS make a point of searching out the head [usually when he is with another parent etc] and pointing it out to him,

the wife dreads having to be with me at parents evenings etc,   :slap
I had a go tonight too. Despite getting the the A twice in a row at GCSE for which they said well done, they went on to suggesting he's maybe "not suited" to now taking AS Maths as it's so intense etc. Got the sense it really knocked his confidence. I started with "Not meaning any offence.............". Boy said afterwards "Whenever you start a sentence with that I know you're going to kick off!"

The teacher said "Well we could show him some AS papers and see what he thinks................." I suggested maybe they should have done that first before coming out with the "not suited" statement. 

Silly cow then asked "How are you at algebra 'cos there's a lot of that at AS?". FFS she should know! Actually he's mustard at it.

Youngest daughter, used to be the biatch troll from hell at school.....she is now Deputy Departmental Head at a school darn sarf

She IS the spelling, punctuation and grammar police all rolled into one. If she sees an apostrophe in the wrong place she goes ballistic !

Even on the posters at school...if it is wrong, out comes the red felt tip. No holds barred

We must have dragged her up proper

Youngest daughter, used to be the biatch troll from hell at school.....she is now Deputy Departmental Head at a school darn sarf

She IS the spelling, punctuation and grammar police all rolled into one. If she sees an apostrophe in the wrong place she goes ballistic !

Even on the posters at school...if it is wrong, out comes the red felt tip. No holds barred

We must have dragged her up proper  like
you missed a word,  :)

I am doing some really weird maths at the moment. I could give you an example but I think only sidewinder would know the symbols. So I have decided to decline responding.

oops I responded

I am doing some really weird maths at the moment. I could give you an example but I think only sidewinder would know the symbols. So I have decided to decline responding.

oops I responded
Go on then, give us a clue!

Mind you, it was at least 35 years ago since I did any really serious maths!

When my kids were at school I asked if they still did Calculus......the answer?

"Yeah, we aren't stoooopid! We use calculators all the time"

I did not argue

oops I responded
Have you joined the Masons? ;)

I had a go tonight too. Despite getting the the A twice in a row at GCSE for which they said well done, they went on to suggesting he's maybe "not suited" to now taking AS Maths as it's so intense etc. Got the sense it really knocked his confidence. I started with "Not meaning any offence.............". Boy said afterwards "Whenever you start a sentence with that I know you're going to kick off!"

The teacher said "Well we could show him some AS papers and see what he thinks................." I suggested maybe they should have done that first before coming out with the "not suited" statement. 

Silly cow then asked "How are you at algebra 'cos there's a lot of that at AS?". FFS she should know! Actually he's mustard at it.
My advice is to ignore whatever they say and do what he wants. I remember them trying to talk me out of doing 4 A-levels and telling me I would have to drop one after the first year. I didn't and came out with 5 A levels if you count general studies (which I don't......)

:D

Have you joined the Masons? ;)

My advice is to ignore whatever they say and do what he wants. I remember them trying to talk me out of doing 4 A-levels and telling me I would have to drop one after the first year. I didn't and came out with 5 A levels if you count general studies (which I don't......)

:D
WHOAAAA there a darn gon minute vetenarian!

SOME people on here may only have A level General Studies......... ;)

Just clinically diagnosed as idle

Latest posts