Generation meter not flashing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daverobs

Reaction score
I am concerned that while my generation meter (elster a100c) appears to be working as the amount generated increases the light does not flash. It does turn red when no power is being generated. I am also concerned that it does not appear to operate when generation is below 240w even though my online system tells me generation is happening. Is there a problem?

I am concerned that while my generation meter (elster a100c) appears to be working as the amount generated increases the light does not flash. It does turn red when no power is being generated. I am also concerned that it does not appear to operate when generation is below 240w even though my online system tells me generation is happening. Is there a problem?
It should flash 1000 times per kWh, so about every 1W generated. I've replaced a few Elsters, they don't seem to be all that reliable. But, if it's recording the generation correctly, you don't need a flashing led. The inverter and meter will record different numbers, but the differeces should be fairly small on a daily basis, so I would monitor for a day or two, and make a judgement then. If it does need replacing, that can be done by any sparky, but I would talk to your FiT supplier, and you will need a covering letter from whoever changes the meter.

It should flash 1000 times per kWh, so about every 1W generated. I've replaced a few Elsters, they don't seem to be all that reliable. But, if it's recording the generation correctly, you don't need a flashing led. The inverter and meter will record different numbers, but the differeces should be fairly small on a daily basis, so I would monitor for a day or two, and make a judgement then. If it does need replacing, that can be done by any sparky, but I would talk to your FiT supplier, and you will need a covering letter from whoever changes the meter.
Thanks for that binky, the difference between the inverter and meter are about 1.5% over the 8 years the system has been running so things look ok.

Binky,
one further question. The system does not seem to work when solar production is below 240w. I have been watching it and whenever it drops lower then the meter light goes solid red. Is there a minimum level of generation needed or should it be still working at say 200w.

Binky,
one further question. The system does not seem to work when solar production is below 240w. I have been watching it and whenever it drops lower then the meter light goes solid red. Is there a minimum level of generation needed or should it be still working at say 200w.
No, it should record every watt. I would check the inverter screen when that happens to double check you are still generating and it's not the app giving you duff numbers.