emlite eca2 generation meter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i got an Emlite eca2 generation meter and it is supposed to tell me how much my panels generate but, it always just shows the import figures, which I believe is the grid electricity coming in, and not cycling through the display, is it not programmed right? How do you read it to know what I generate? Pictures are taken at night; that's why the red light and it goes off in the daytime.
1707926367900.png1707926367900.png

Wouldnt this be situated between the inverter and the board to just show how much the inverter is sending out ?

Im trying to think how it would know what you are generating if you are using it rather than exporting it ?

Which cable is it in circuit with ?

As Mike Smith said is where it should be, to show what is being generated.
Apparently, it has the cables coming i from the inverter but also to the grid "cable so again if you generate more than you use you supposed to be able to see what you are exporting, as it is tied into the grid.
Since posting I found this out, as far as I can tell from what I have been reading, it is working as a generation meter only, eg showing only what the inverter is sending through. The numbers are going up even so it is on imp (supposed to show what comes from the grid and not the inverter on imp) it is the figures the solar produces. This meter is not designed to show import figures separately even though the manual and installer says it should.

So if anybody knows differently please let me know. :)

1708008652460.png

Hi John
The generation meter you have fitted is the ECA2.z
This meter only reads one value.
The ECA2.nz variant (Net) of this meter will read import and export and give a "NET" value. i.e. export - Import.
Do you have a battery in the system?
If so the .nz would register the output from the PV+ battery to the load minus any feed from the grid to charge the battery.
The .nz cycles through the three readings.

My installer fitted the .n variant and I've been trying to get them to change it but they are adamant that it's the only one they fit.
Funny thing is though it's wired up as if it's the .nz version and so it's only recording grid supply to my battery. :cautious:
Sounds like we have a similar issue.

Hi John
The generation meter you have fitted is the ECA2.z
This meter only reads one value.
The ECA2.nz variant (Net) of this meter will read import and export and give a "NET" value. i.e. export - Import.
Do you have a battery in the system?
If so the .nz would register the output from the PV+ battery to the load minus any feed from the grid to charge the battery.
The .nz cycles through the three readings.

My installer fitted the .n variant and I've been trying to get them to change it but they are adamant that it's the only one they fit.
Funny thing is though it's wired up as if it's the .nz version and so it's only recording grid supply to my battery. :cautious:
Sounds like we have a similar issue.
It is frustrating when you get told one thing and the it is not, eg was told would cycle through 2 figures import and export.
As long as it tell me so what I generate and the system uses what I generate when I need it and not only give it back to the grid that's fine.

John
It depends on where in the system this is wired in.
Do you have the schematic for your system?
In most installations this meter sits between the inverter and the junction block where the PV system feeds into the supply between the utility meter and the consumer unit.
In which case if it was the .nz version it would record "total" export from your system (PV + Battery), total import from grid (if any to charge the battery) and the net production, which is Export minus import, and it cycles through the 3 readings.
In this position however it will only tell you what's being produced, it can't distinguish as to what goes to load and what goes to grid.
That need a measurement in the grid side of the installation.