2 yearly check of your Generation meter.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldman22

Reaction score
My fit energy company contacted me about my generation meter, every 2yrs they send someone to certify its the same meter and its not been altered from the original on the MCS cert.
This year they asked for a photo instead, I sent them one, 4 days later I get an email telling me my account is now frozen until I send them a photo of the correct meter as the serial doesn't match the MCS certificate one.
Its not been changed and the MCS certificate is the original pdf from 2014.
Somewhat bemused I looked up my MCS certificate and blow me down with a feather, they are right, its got the meter name & model right but the serial is the one from my 2014 inverter!!
So what have the meter readers been doing for the past 9yrs when they are supposed to check the serial. I suppose I should have spotted it, but I didn't.
Eon have been happily paying me fit for 9yrs on a duff certificate.
The company that installed my solar no longer do domestic but I have a 10yr contract with them for repairs etc so lets hope they see fit to alter the MCS certificate and send me the corrected one free of charge.
I rang them and explained the situation and within 1hr I had a pdf in my email with the correct meter details.
I forwarded the pdf and a photo of my meter to the fit energy company and got a confused reply so repeated the email including an offer that they could ring me to sort it.
A day and a phone call from them later I not only have my FiT account unlocked, but as it was time for a generation reading I got this quarters payment as well.
So the upshot of this tale is that we should all check out documents are correct, I just relied on the meter readers doing what they were paid for but they obviously hadn't got a clue.

I just relied on the meter readers doing what they were paid for but they obviously hadn't got a clue.

Not necessarily the case.

Perhaps they (meter readers) did not want to "rock the boat" so say nothing.

Well blow me!
I told the installer they had the wrong make and model on the MCS certificate they set a guy on a 2 hour round trip journey to take a photo of the generation meter and they sent a new certificate. Yes you guessed it! It was wrong again so I gave up at that point as it’s really a pointless meter as I have a smart meter for input and export that is important and a SolarEdge meter which to me makes the generation meter rather pointless. A bit like the MCS body

Slightly off tangent
My mate has been paying his water meter reading ( reluctant farmer ) for years. They read it, he pays it. Seems fair until I pointed out he hasn’t got a water meter!
So a confused UU man arrived and was asked to go to the meter and read it

He got a very large refund 😂

Just to finish this off, I requested that if they wanted to send a meter reader to double check my photo and revised MCS meter serial number that they first contact me with an appointment.
Of course out of the blue a Morrisons meter man appeared on the doorstep yesterday asking to read the generation meter. I led him to the meter and he glanced at the recorded units and started to walk away, I suggested he check the serial of the meter and he looked at me like I was from another planet. I tried explaining the story but he just shrugged his shoulders and wandered off. He did look like he should have been at home in the warm and not wandering the streets, poor man. I wonder if they get paid per reading?

Just to finish this off, I requested that if they wanted to send a meter reader to double check my photo and revised MCS meter serial number that they first contact me with an appointment.
Of course out of the blue a Morrisons meter man appeared on the doorstep yesterday asking to read the generation meter. I led him to the meter and he glanced at the recorded units and started to walk away, I suggested he check the serial of the meter and he looked at me like I was from another planet. I tried explaining the story but he just shrugged his shoulders and wandered off. He did look like he should have been at home in the warm and not wandering the streets, poor man. I wonder if they get paid per reading?
I believe they do get paid per reading. I was doing some repair work on a solar farm many years ago when a meter reader turned up unannounced. He was telling me about how they are expected work, and what a pain solar farms are. For those who don't know, solar farms are all surrounded by security fencing, so you have to find a key holder who may be miles away.