Getting in to the industry

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpzx2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name's Michael. I've tried doing some research on this but all I can find is official information which doesn't always give the whole truth.

Basically for some background on my situation. I graduated from a course on geography with I.T. with a 2:2. I found the course uninspiring and realised half way into it that I had made the wrong choice in choosing to study for a degree and I would have been better taking an apprenticeship. I don't like to quit though and finished my degree.

I'm now working as an estate agent (sorry folks), which whilst I enjoy it's not something I'd like to progress up to manager in. I'm currently saving up to go to New Zealand for 8 months in July. This has made me start thinking about what I want to do with my life when I get back.

I really want to learn a trade and being an electrician is something that interests me greatly. My end goal is to become self employed. Given that I will be 24 and a graduate with no money by the time I get back my options seem to be pretty limited.

I just really want advice on my best way into the industry. I'm very motivated which I know will help me. I guess my first step would be to sign up for a city & guilds 2330 course at a college and try and find a casual part time job to pay for it. Going from there what would be my best steps. Is it important to meet JIB standards?

How easy is it to get into an apprenticeship and what qaulifications do they usually ask for? Also does anyone know how much they cost? If I apply before I'm 25 I will have to pay 50% of the costs for it and if I'm 25 I will have to pay for them all.

I know it's a lot of questions but any advice you all have would be a great help. Many thanks, Michael.

Hi everyone,My name's Michael. I've tried doing some research on this but all I can find is official information which doesn't always give the whole truth.

Basically for some background on my situation. I graduated from a course on geography with I.T. with a 2:2. I found the course uninspiring and realised half way into it that I had made the wrong choice in choosing to study for a degree and I would have been better taking an apprenticeship. I don't like to quit though and finished my degree.

I'm now working as an estate agent (sorry folks), which whilst I enjoy it's not something I'd like to progress up to manager in. I'm currently saving up to go to New Zealand for 8 months in July. This has made me start thinking about what I want to do with my life when I get back.

I really want to learn a trade and being an electrician is something that interests me greatly. My end goal is to become self employed. Given that I will be 24 and a graduate with no money by the time I get back my options seem to be pretty limited.

I just really want advice on my best way into the industry. I'm very motivated which I know will help me. I guess my first step would be to sign up for a city & guilds 2330 course at a college and try and find a casual part time job to pay for it. Going from there what would be my best steps. Is it important to meet JIB standards?

How easy is it to get into an apprenticeship and what qaulifications do they usually ask for? Also does anyone know how much they cost? If I apply before I'm 25 I will have to pay 50% of the costs for it and if I'm 25 I will have to pay for them all.

I know it's a lot of questions but any advice you all have would be a great help. Many thanks, Michael.
As you are coming back around March/April next year that would be a hard one to answer as a lot could change in 15 months.

Ah OK so the courses change quite frequently then? I'll keep an eye on what is happening then.

Forget all that and stay in New Zealand !!!!
Good call Sandra. Id look at New Zeland or Australia compared to this dump mate. Trades are not in a good way at the moment and someone from Aussie posted on here recently who was thinking of coming back after emigrating 9 years ago. The replies he got was 'stay over there'

If it werent for family being here id look at living elsewhere. Dont really want my kids to grow up over here. Not much to look forward to really. :C

Look into the possibility of emigrating to NZ. You certainly can't do much wrong looking to start a new life down-under, rather than coming back here. At least you have a recognised degree that will give you a kick start, with their emigrating requirements.

Not Kidding with you here, ....Seriously look into it, this could well be the chance your looking for in life. ...Nothing ventured , ...Nothing gained!!!

Lol not quite the replies I expected :p

I will look into it definitely depending on how I find it over there. Easier said than done though what with g/f, family and friends being over here. I definitely want to get into the trade though. Or is it really in such a bad state that you guys just want to get future job competition as far away as possible :D

Nah, in all seriousness though it's something I'll definitely consider cause it's meant to be an amazing lifestyle out there. I'll let you all know how it is when I'm there and persuade you all to join me!

kiwiland is where it is buddy,

almost wish I had stayed there, but situations and all that and now I have a wife and kid here now.

dunno where you are headed but S island are crying out for workers, even further north there is a shortage,.

good luck anyhows.

2330 is being discontinued as previously said, I believe the new course is 2357 (so I am told) , this will combine the old 2330 part 2 and 3 with the level 3 NVQ.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/1107.html?search_term=

The problem is you will need to be in a job doing the work to be able to complete this course.More information can be found here:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/46797.html

Its a 3 year course with no word as of yet if it will be available as a part time evening course.

Hello everyone! NZ was amazing and I love it there but I am now back home! Currently doing NVQ level 1 (a lot of prac work) and C&G level 2. Both going really well, but I feel like I need to start getting some working experience. Any tips for finding work, with no working experience? Cheers!

That won't be easy MJxzdfgh24  to be honest .    This trade is similar to the building trade , as in,  its who you know not what you know !  

You could pass every exam and course there is but its all down to hands on experience really.    Sorry to be negative .

Try asking local electrical wholesalers they will display a card with your details on .  

It can be, sometimes :slap

I would stick with Estate Agency and do night courses to get basic electrical theory sorted, that way you can still earn some money whilst studying. On your esatae agent travels you will no doubt come across many electricians, find a good one and perhaps you could go learn from them, What you can then offer/ use is the contacts with agents to generate work

Hello everyone! NZ was amazing and I love it there but I am now back home! Currently doing NVQ level 1 (a lot of prac work) and C&G level 2. Both going really well, but I feel like I need to start getting some working experience. Any tips for finding work, with no working experience? Cheers!
Get yourself crb cleared, do a PAT testing course. Get some tools and a drill , practice using the drill.

Personally that would impress me.

Latest posts