Getting involved with CU change that may not have c.p.c's for circuits?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who,has ever used a "Wylex Extenso Unit"?
I heard tell of these wonderous things  but never fitted one or saw one .      As I said ,  I thought we had to ram as many cables as possible into them  and overload the fuseways until they melted.    Oh and obviously fit over sized fuse wire in all the carriers . 

For wooden boards they remarkably fire retardant .   :C  

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one that finds it quite odd that a sweet old girl knows about no cpc’s and concerned about bonding? Can’t say I know of any old people that are this aware of electrical installations? 
either she has had other sparks in for a quote and has been informed or her children have bought the house and are using her as a guise to get a more sympathetic quote?? 

just saying.......... it seems odd
I asked her if she knew if there was earthing at sockets or lights she said she didn't know. That said though mate I do I have my suspicions she's had other quotes and what motivation is for change. Why else would she bulk at mention of inspection prior to change 🤷‍♂️ 

I asked her if she knew if there was earthing at sockets or lights she said she didn't know. That said though mate I do I have my suspicions she's had other quotes and what motivation is for change. Why else would she bulk at mention of inspection prior to change 🤷‍♂️ 
if it’s a genuine enquiry then perhaps being a sweet old lady she doesn’t have much funds? Therefore an inspection sounds costly for no apparent gain. 
If you instigated the conversation re Earths or lack thereof then that’s a different kettle of fish, however wouldn’t you just popped a plug in tester in a few sockets to ascertain this info? Unscrew a few ceiling roses or light switches? Or simply quick look inside the cu? 
I don’t think it looks good if you the electrician asks about things that everyday people wouldn’t know about necessarily. :C  some people may lose confidence in you. 

Very unlikely any customer would know this......

The vast majority I have come across seem to think I have to turn the whole fuse box off to change a light fitting!!

And have no idea that a socket with reversed polarity and no earth is wrong... because it works when you plug something into it!!!

Every fuse box replacement I do needs a site assessment visit before any costs are discussed...

So I would establish if any lighting circuits are missing CPC's or if any bonding is missing, or if any circuit cables are not PVC.. etc..  etc.. 

Some people refuse to do fuseboard changes for houses with no CPC's on the lighting circuits ........ how dumb is that!

As for R1 + R2 - you can't measure it if there is no CPC.

Our responsibility is to make homes safer, and sure changing a BS3036 CU to one with RCD's or better still RCBO's is the correct thing to do

As for the bonding - I always show the cost to install it 

AND 

more importantly you need a caveat about faults you find

I've used this for years and have never been challenged about it:

NB: If problems are detected during a fuseboard change, additional work may be required. Such issues and associated costs will be discussed with you prior to them being implemented

I would probably be working along the Murdoch principal with a job like this.....

i.e.

Work out a cost for the fuse box replacement...  Include bonding...  AND testing....

give that as your cost for fuse box replacement....

Inspect & test before or during is the million dollar question...

Old Wylex boards Inspect & test is a massive pain right up the rectum!!!!

BUT..  If you have got the bonnet up and the engine out on a block & tackle during a CU swap..

Inspect & Test is easier.....  BUT...  it may raise that unforeseen nastie...

BUT....

on the balance of probability, (from my personal 20 odd years working for myself), its generally easier to test during a CU change...

Worst case scenario.....  (assuming you have quoted for full RCBO)…  you may have to stick a temporary MCB in place of an RCBO if one circuit has some dodgy IR readings..

But ensure you have a "cover your arse" comment somewhere in your work agreements to allow for extra charges for any unforeseen perishing rubber cables... or dodgy J/Box under a tiled bathroom floor you cannot lift!!

:popcorn Guinness

Trouble with testing first is , you  get a couple of circuits out for testing and you're thinking ,  rip the others out & get a the new board  in place .  

I've spent too much time sorting the mess of wiring in an old board ready to test ,  neutrals & earths  were never connected in rotation  ,  earths are all rammed in a connector tucked in behind all the other wires  etc  .  

I suppose it depends on the level you go to with testing. I suppose if you did something like the following.

:- Ze at board

: - Isolate, link live to neutral, IR to earth (at 250v, at least inititally)

:- Ring continuity at socket outlets

:-Back on and have a quick look at whats on each circuit

: - Quick look in a couple of lighting points/switches for earth

: - Wander lead test from earth picked off plugtop to any metallic fittings

:- Nosey behind stairway switchs for the borrowed neutral situation

:- run eyeball over everything for sign of DIY works.

Should give a pretty good idea on whether board change whill go smoothly, without being too much of a pain to do

Latest posts