GOV.UK advice on Rented properties for smoke alarms.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Tesla

Reaction score
Who Is Correct?

Aico says I need to fit smoke detectors to D1. ie: mains powered with battery back up, but GOV.UK says BS5839-6 2022 does not stipulate this.

Aico

GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

What type of smoke alarm is required?​

The regulations do not stipulate the type of alarms (such as mains powered (‘hard-wired’) or battery powered) that should be installed.

We recommend that landlords choose the type of smoke alarms based on the needs of their building and their tenants, and that those alarms are compliant with British Standards BS 5839-6. Where battery powered alarms are selected, alarms with ‘sealed for life’ batteries rather than alarms with replaceable batteries are the better option.

Aico and fire angel etc, say rented properties new or exiting need to be on a D1 smoke alarm system, yet GOV.UK advice to landlords says not.
Who is correct?

BS 5839-6 2019 A12022 effective from Oct 2022

Fairly certain in Scotland the rule is now all houses to have interlinked detectors, but they do not need to be mains ones. I have fitted Aico in my own place but friends and family have gone down the 10 year sealed battery unit route, very easy to fit and install, pair them all up on the kitchen table then stick them to the ceiling with small screws and lightweight plasterboard plugs. Set of battery detectors for the average house about £200, which is about half the price of my Aico setup however Aico is still the best in my opinion, but for a retro fit the battery kit wins in my mind.

DO NOT FIT FIRE ANGEL, you will regret it. *

In Scotland the regs are clearer, they must be interlinked, and that can include wireless interlinking, and they can be mains powered or battery powered as long as the battery has a 10 year life.

* I have now come across 2 sets of Fire Angel "10 year life" battery smoke alarms that have failed a little after the 5 year guarantee ended, and I took them apart and found the batteries were flat. Fire Angels response was tough, the 5 year guarantee has expired. So IMHO they are fraudulent to describe them as 10 year life and then tell you tough luck when the battery expires after just over 5 years. There must be hundreds like this leaving the owners without the protection of a fire alarm system they thought they were getting.

who do you think will give an honest take on what must be installed? a manufacturer / supplier wanting to sell more, or those who make the rules?
They are quoting from BS5839-6 2019.
They are not just making it up.
From 1st of October 2022 was the date rented properties had to comply to the standard.

I am lead to believe that in England you can have battery smoke alarms, at least one on each level. It does not have to be mains powered or interlinked. BUT interlinked is preferred, and so is mains powered but a device with a 10 year battery life is also acceptable.

In Wales, you must have mains powered and interlinked smoke alarms. The interlink can be radio or hardwired.

Scotland is different again as it applies to all homes, not just rentals.
They say one smoke alarm in the most used room, heat detector in the kitchen, CO alarm near any "fuel burning appliance"

Obviously if you want to "all aico with radio interlink" that is your choice.

I guess it depends where you look.

Some are opting to use red sheathed cable for hard-wired interlink

DO NOT FIT FIRE ANGEL, you will regret it. *

In Scotland the regs are clearer, they must be interlinked, and that can include wireless interlinking, and they can be mains powered or battery powered as long as the battery has a 10 year life.

* I have now come across 2 sets of Fire Angel "10 year life" battery smoke alarms that have failed a little after the 5 year guarantee ended, and I took them apart and found the batteries were flat. Fire Angels response was tough, the 5 year guarantee has expired. So IMHO they are fraudulent to describe them as 10 year life and then tell you tough luck when the battery expires after just over 5 years. There must be hundreds like this leaving the owners without the protection of a fire alarm system they thought they were getting.
A few years ago at one of the trade shows the guy on the Fire Angel stand was trying to push their detectors with the line that they did everything Aico does but 30% cheaper my reply was yes but you get 100% more hassle with your detectors than you do with Aico he didn't reply to that

As usual the civil servants writing the regs have messed up
Class D1 smoke alarms is described as mains wired and battery .....Now is that mains as well as battery or mains with battery back up??
Badly written, which may be where the confusion is. The picture in diagrams show mains with battery back up.

Also GOV.UK advice for latest regs ... SECTION Frequently Asked Questions : with answers, but I think some of the answers are to the old version of the reg as the British Standard it mentions is BS5839-6 and not BS5839-6 2019. (as shown in first post). Very confusing.

Class D1 smoke alarms is described as mains wired and battery .....Now is that mains as well as battery or mains with battery back up??
Badly written, which may be where the confusion is. The picture in diagrams show mains with battery back up.

Also GOV.UK advice for latest regs ... SECTION Frequently Asked Questions : with answers, but I think some of the answers are to the old version of the reg as the British Standard it mentions is BS5839-6 and not BS5839-6 2019. (as shown in first post). Very confusing.
I read that as mains with battery back up. A bit of reading around reveals terms such as 'system' means interlinked rather than standalone, so a D1 becomes mains with battery backup and interlinked for rental properties. Guide below is easier reading

Attachments

• BS-5839-6-2019-FIA-update-Will-Lloyd.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Who Is Correct?

Aico says I need to fit smoke detectors to D1. ie: mains powered with battery back up, but GOV.UK says BS5839-6 2022 does not stipulate this.

Aico

GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-private-rented-sector-landlords-and-tenants

What type of smoke alarm is required?​

The regulations do not stipulate the type of alarms (such as mains powered (‘hard-wired’) or battery powered) that should be installed.

We recommend that landlords choose the type of smoke alarms based on the needs of their building and their tenants, and that those alarms are compliant with British Standards BS 5839-6. Where battery powered alarms are selected, alarms with ‘sealed for life’ batteries rather than alarms with replaceable batteries are the better option.

So here in Scotland the regulations changed exactly a year ago , and I fitted battery powered smoke, heat and CO2 alarms as required around the house and they all work fine working on the 850Mhz band . At the time of buying there were no independent easy to access reports on interlinked alarms.
We decided to buy a British manufactured alarm namely HISPEC

My WHICH magazine dropped through the letterbox as usual during last autumn and my smoke alarm had been tested with a DONT BUY recommendation against it . Apparently failed sufficiently detect certain types of smoke.
Glad I kept my existing main/battery smoke alarms !