Growatt battery not discharging

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thfctom

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my Growatt batteries installed last week, and they don’t seem to be discharging.

As you can see from the image of my grid usage, the panels are providing the energy during the day, but when it’s dark, the battery is not kicking in.

The battery has been at 100% for a few days (losing about 1% a day through what I assume is drain).

Has anybody had this problem before?

Cheers!

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_3729.jpeg
    IMG_3729.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
Thats a very low usage you have shown (I assume from the Octopus app?). Are you sure the Growatt isnt feeding into your system? What does the shineapp show you?

Thats a very low usage you have shown (I assume from the Octopus app?). Are you sure the Growatt isnt feeding into your system? What does the shineapp show you?
Yeh, that’s the Octopus app. And it’s not much, I agree, but nearly 2kW in a day should be manageable from the battery right? The app is saying the battery never got used.

Attachments

• IMG_3737.jpeg
    IMG_3737.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1
What settings do you have in the inverter ?

Heres an example of mine:-

Growatt Settings.png

Do you know if you hae a current transformer (CT) or a power meter for the solar?

Could you take a photograph of your meter and surrounding equipment and post it here, we may be able to spot something.

Here are my settings - they are the same as yours. I'll go and get some phots of the system now.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.12.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.12.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.26.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.26.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.47.png
    152.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-18 at 18.33.57.png
    153 KB · Views: 3
Here are the photos of my system.

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3746.jpeg
    IMG_3746.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3748.jpeg
    IMG_3748.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
Here are the photos of my system.
Whilst I cant see your meter tails to confirm the presence of a CT, you do have a generation meter You probably need to change WIREDCT to METER in the power harvester. The password you need is the date in YYYYMMDD format so today is 20230618.

Ok thanks, I've changed that now.

I'll give it some time to settle, and report back. However right now the battery is still at 100%, not discharging, panels are generating next to nothing, and the house is using energy from the grid.

Thanks for your help so far!

Ok thanks, I've changed that now.

I'll give it some time to settle, and report back. However right now the battery is still at 100%, not discharging, panels are generating next to nothing, and the house is using energy from the grid.

Thanks for your help so far!
That seems strange, what does the shine app show, this part of the screen:-

gw2.PNG

Yeh I can see it looked that way, the cables were a bit mangled and hidden.

It’s still not discharging the battery, I’ll give up this evening and see what it’s doing tomorrow.

Cheers!

I read this with interest, this is the same issue I have with our Growatt installation. The battery does not discharge, also the growatt app does not show import and export to/from grid. Our usage o/night is around 1.0 - 1.5 kWh that should easily be accommodated by the batteries. Our daytime consumption is minimal and is currently easily taken care of by PV generation. Installer was back for 7th time in 6 months and insists the installation and equipment are fine and has nothing more to offer in terms of problem solving.
My previous post on this subject.
I'd be really interested to know of possible solutions/causes.
May I ask @thfctom what happens if you use TOU discharge/grid first command to force discharge battery?
Thanks

Hi,

I haven’t actually changed anything, other than turn the settings back to John’s original screenshot (but actually on WIREDCT and not meter).

I’ve been out this evening, haven’t touched it, and I’m finally getting discharge from the battery, with no import from the grid.

I’ve read your thread though, and I also have the issue where there’s no reading for import from grid. However, now that I have the battery working, hopefully I don’t need to read anything from that again!

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

Scratch that, battery is still not discharging and I’m still importing energy from the grid at night or during the rain this morning.

Very annoying. I have a case open with the installer but I don’t have much hope, based on your dealings with your installer @milomonster. Out of interest, who was your installer?

Hi,

I haven’t actually changed anything, other than turn the settings back to John’s original screenshot (but actually on WIREDCT and not meter).

I’ve been out this evening, haven’t touched it, and I’m finally getting discharge from the battery, with no import from the grid.

I’ve read your thread though, and I also have the issue where there’s no reading for import from grid. However, now that I have the battery working, hopefully I don’t need to read anything from that again!

Sorry I couldn’t be more help!
Are you on a wiredCT? could you post a photograph of the CT please.

Status
Not open for further replies.