Growatt battery not discharging

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@thfctom Did you get anything resolved with your installer?
Our installer is in touch with Growatt, and though I have asked that he himself reviews the data and the installation again systematically, he is adamant that there can be nothing wrong with CT or the wiring...
Unless there is an equipment fault with the inverter or batteries, I do not see how Growatt can assist.

@thfctom Did you get anything resolved with your installer?
Our installer is in touch with Growatt, and though I have asked that he himself reviews the data and the installation again systematically, he is adamant that there can be nothing wrong with CT or the wiring...
Unless there is an equipment fault with the inverter or batteries, I do not see how Growatt can assist.
The installer also believes it is a CT issue, and they are visiting next Friday to assess. I'll update after the visit.

FYI I've signed up for Scottish Powers SEG tarriff at 12p/kWh, so at least I'm getting something for the export.

The installer also believes it is a CT issue, and they are visiting next Friday to assess. I'll update after the visit.

FYI I've signed up for Scottish Powers SEG tarriff at 12p/kWh, so at least I'm getting something for the export.
Cool, hope you get some progress. I'd be interested in what your installers find.
We were with SP, but it took them months to respond on SEG. Last week we moved to Octopus and whole export tariff is already up and running. It is reassuring to see the export and import data and I can also download in full to demonstrate more precisely the issues with our system.

Cool, hope you get some progress. I'd be interested in what your installers find.
We were with SP, but it took them months to respond on SEG. Last week we moved to Octopus and whole export tariff is already up and running. It is reassuring to see the export and import data and I can also download in full to demonstrate more precisely the issues with our system.
I would do Octopus, but I ran the maths and we’re better off sticking with Intelligent Octopus (29p/7.5p) and using SP export than we are moving to Octopus export tariff.

You can’t have Intelligent tariff and export with octopus. Very frustrating.

Right. We are fixed!

Installer finally came back out, and did 3 things:

1) Changed all the data cable connectors/terminals - allegedly these can be unreliable/damaged during installation.
2) Turned the CT clamp around so the arrow points AWAY from the meter, and back towards the inverter. The installer was saying the manufacturer of these has changed the spec, and this is the correct orientation to fit them now.
3) Reset the system.

I don't know if 1, 2, or all 3 of these issues fixed it, but for anyone browsing this thread, I'd recommend you suggest these to your installer (or do them yourself).

I now watch the dashboard with intrigue, and the system is working perfectly, backed up by smart meter readout and energy usage data from Octopus.

Cheers all for your suggestions.

@milomonster fyi

Full sun - house only using a fraction, some is charging battery, most is exported:

1690899835102.png

Cloudy - solar load doesn't cover house load, battery kicks in.

1690899982518.png

Last edited:
2) Turned the CT clamp around so the arrow points AWAY from the meter, and back towards the inverter. The installer was saying the manufacturer of these has changed the spec, and this is the correct orientation to fit them now.
I hope you are fixed as you say. The CT clamp should be between the meter and the consumer unit, directly on the meter tails. The arrow should point away from the meter, it has always been that way for Growatt.

Classic. Installer put the ct on wrong and ran away without testing the system, costing the customer money potentially, then came back months later and clipped the ct on the correct way - blaming a non existent specification.

Glad it’s sorted, flabbergasted that installers can’t just test things before they bounce off to the next job - worries me as these systems should be check up on frequently and it’s hard to know where corners are being cut.

Classic. Installer put the ct on wrong and ran away without testing the system, costing the customer money potentially, then came back months later and clipped the ct on the correct way - blaming a non existent specification.
Not quite, we went through reversing the CT earlier in the thread and that didnt resolve the issue, there must have been more to it.

Glad it’s sorted, flabbergasted that installers can’t just test things before they bounce off to the next job - worries me as these systems should be check up on frequently and it’s hard to know where corners are being cut.
Totally agree, I found on my system, terminal screws not tight between the MCB and the busbar, broken CT cables in the HARVI and configuration problems in the Growatt inverter.

If anyone reading this has a question, please start your own thread, do not hi-jack this one

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.