Have I purchased the wrong batterry?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey B

Reaction score
My Lead Acid 100Ah battery (8 years old) was under performing and not holding it's charge from my solar setup so I bought a Lithium Iron LiFePO4 50Ah. At the same time I fitted a battery monitor and shunt. The monitor does not seem to be showing the battery charging. (Monitor from Ebay DC8-80V 50A/100A/350A Battery Capacity Tester Coulometer TR16) (Battery from Ebay Ultramax 12v 50Ah Lithium LiFePO4 Battery For Electric Propelling Applications)
Although it states for electric propelling applications the advert for the battery says it is suitable for Solar applications. It came with a separate dedicated mains charger which I thought strange as I obviously want to charge it via my solar panel and charge controller.
I would appreciate any advice.

Do you know if the battery is charging ? It could be either a battery / wiring issue or the monitor not working correctly. Perhaps you could photograph the shunt and associated wiring?

Problem solved :-
The setting on my controller was still set for a Lead Acid battery (b1), so I changed it to Lithium Iron LiFePO4 (b3) and it instantly started charging from the panel.
Should have re-read the controller instuction leaflet! but then I am an Engineer.