Height of sockets and switches

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnetic

Reaction score
I friend of mine is having a rewire done to his house, as well as an extenstion/new build. At the moment in his house the sockets are placed in the skirting boards which he is having removed, at what level will the sockets and switches be placed in the old part of the house?

Is it correct in thinking that the new build will be 450mm and 1200mm for sockets and switches, so they will do the same in the old build?

Any new build would be as per building regulations so as to conform with DPA.

However a rewire does not mean that you have to adopt the 450mm 1200mm heights.

If it was a total refurb I would suggest that the current building regulations are followed, but not for a rewire.

Any socket on a rewire should be placed at such hieght as to prevent damage to any flex plugged into it, and to prevent as far as possible any trip hazards etc with long trailing leads.

Not necassarily. The "new build" - yes, must comply with building regs part M. The existing - As long as it is in a better, more compliant state when you leave it, it doesn`t HAVE to be 450-1200. That said, I would look to put them at the same heights used in the extension.

KME

edit: (Nozzy pushy shovey} ;)

With rewires you can get away with not doing them to building reg height but have to be accessible to comply. I always suggest people have them done to building reg height but you cannot force people to do this as they are paying and its not a new build. I think with extensions you can also get away with not doing them to building reg height. But if whole property is being done it would be a good idea to do it properly and that way there will be no problems with building inspector and if they move it would be easier to sell.

my take on this is.....

Do all the work to the current height requirements looks better and first impressions count

the other issue to take into account....saves on cable and you dont need to bend down so far !!!!!!

:D

Part M only applies to Domestic new builds (not extensions) and Non Domestic new builds and extensions (including reclassification to/from a domestic dwelling). It does not apply to extensions on dwellings but, as stated above, its good practise anyway.

Is it correct in thinking that the new build will be 450mm and 1200mm for sockets and switches, so they will do the same in the old build?

I agree with the advice of previous posts, however, the best advice surely is to simply ask them !

Is it correct in thinking that the new build will be 450mm and 1200mm for sockets and switches, so they will do the same in the old build? I agree with the advice of previous posts, however, the best advice surely is to simply ask them !
You have lost me. What old build? A new build in this meaning and need to comply with M would be a new dwelling NOT an addition to an existing dwelling. Extensions and modifications to existing dwellings are exempt from M.

You have lost me. What old build? A new build in this meaning and need to comply with M would be a new dwelling NOT an addition to an existing dwelling. Extensions and modifications to existing dwellings are exempt from M.
I would agree on principal, however some LABC take the view that anything newly built has to comply with current building regulations irrispective of previous or existing standards.

I would agree on principal, however some LABC take the view that anything newly built has to comply with current building regulations irrispective of previous or existing standards.
Challenge it then as they are wrong. Part M says:

The requirements of this Part to not apply to:

(a) An extension of or material alteration of a dwelling; or

(B) blah blah.....

Challenge it then as they are wrong. Part M says:The requirements of this Part to not apply to:

(a) An extension of or material alteration of a dwelling; or

(B) blah blah.....
I agree, however, if the LABC want them at new heights, they may as well be.

Either that or argue with them, which would then make the job over run.

Sometimes its better to just get on with it.

Its normally one persons error so speaking to another officer clears it up.

Its normally one persons error so speaking to another officer clears it up.
I would agree but I find its always best not to get into argument with people who when proved wrong can make your life miserable. :put the kettle on

+!. Definitely. If LABC say they want something - give it to `em.Being pedantic about it won`t win brownie points ;)
A better solution is let the customer argue with them.

Latest posts