Help Please Sterling 10.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambs Tech'lee

Reaction score
hello im having some problems with my pyronix sterling 10 and stumbled across your forum... so here goes....

so this alarm system was already installed when i bought this house 5 almost 6 years ago and has worked flawlessly up until now.

the problem is when i go to arm the system i enter the code, then the LCD displays "unarmed kitchen" whilst the main internal box changes from a arming tone to a kinda tone similar to when mains power is cut.

ive somewhat checked the IR sensor in the kitchen, and performed a walk test and it seems to work as intended.

i decided to remove the cover from the main box which activated the tamper alarm and noticed that the battery had some kind of dry leakage around the terminal so i purchased a 6v replacement battery only to find out that i need a 12v battery as when i connect the 6v nothing happens.

do you reckon that the battery is old and causing these arming issues that im having.

i am totally clueless as to what troubleshooting steps   to take and don't have any manuals or any idea who the company was that installed this system.

i can provide pics of main internal box, or messages that are displayed on LCD panel if needed.

Thankyou_Lee

dead batteries can cause all sorts of weird faults with alarms,

that would deffo be the first thing to sort,

the batteries are fairly generic, just get one that physically fits, and the same voltage,

the Ah rating is basically how long it will last in a powercut, so not so important to get an exact match on that.

Thanks for quick reply..

the battery in my system now has no information on it at all.

the battery i bought is -  6v7Ah/20hour aplication -  floating use 6.8-6.9 -  cycle use 7.25-7.45v -  intial current  "both" less than 2.1A

When i connect this new battery my external alarms keeps ringing, if i reconnect the old battery the alarm will stop.

so would that suggest that my battery is not powerful enough?

i apologise for what may seem silly questions, but electrics isn't really my field of expertise. 

_Lee

almost any 12v battery will do,

most alarms are 2.4Ah , but a 1.2 would do to test it, when you connect the new 12v battery up it will go into alarm, for tamper, as the cover is off,

so you need to put the code into the panel to reset it.

Thanks again for reply..

Its a bit late to start troubleshooting my alarm.. neighbours wont be too happy im sure..

im pretty sure that when i connected this new battery my LCD panel was dead and i was unable to input any code. the panel would only come to life when the old battery was reconnected. i will try again in the morning as im not totally sure.

_Lee

I shall order a 12v battery. and see what happens.. hopefully that will fix the system. If not i shall have to return for some more advice.

Thanks guys. Have a good evening.

_Lee

Yes but your new battery is 6V and that wont work.

People are talking about when you have been out and bought a new 12 V battery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted loads of these panels as far back as 1999. I remember this clearly as Gardiners were selling these in a kit as the Y2K system.

The spec says the battery should be between 2.8-7Ah 12V , with a 13.7 v DC float charge. Technology has improved since then  & i think the same physical sizes are now 3.0-8.0Ah. 

I cant find, and dont remember 'unarmed' as a display. That word may have been programmed in ? or that zone has alarmed when last set, so try resetting the panel.

The system can be programed for engineer only reset. This panel could also have a service timer programmed in that would force you to call in an engineer. This was done by the number of arm/disarm cycles.

I have found many of the keypads are now wearing out & as the system is obsolete its easier to fit a new panel

PS.  Don't bother with any of this until a correct  good battery has been fitted

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been said, having an old battery can cause all manor of problems, your panel uses a 12v 2.8 Ah battery, you can get one from

HERE but maybe cheaper elsewhere.

Fitting a 6 volt battery is not a good idea and may have blown a fuse etc, but we will not know until (also as said) you get the correct battery.

I have looked at the user manual, there is no mention of "unarmed kitchen"

You can download the user manual yourself by visiting the page HERE Its available in PDF format under the title "home user"

As others have said get the correct battery and see then what happens. Whereabouts are you I did one about 6 year ago maybe its the one I did, wouldn't that be funny if it was.

Latest posts