HELP - poo coming out of rainwater drain

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a phone call today from my mrs, toilet blocked again.... from the last episode I know there is an inspection cover under the shed. So floor up and lifted the cover off. Blockage was close to the downpipe from the bathroom and after a couple of hours rodding I had it shifted. I have heard that these new toilets with eco flushing cisterns do not put enough water down the drains and can allow things like paper to sit there and eventually build up and cause a blockage. I cant be doing this ever 2 or 3 months! Does anyone know if I would be better of with a 'bog standard' bog instead? 

I think all new toilets have a 6litre flush which judging by my own experiments😳 is not enough. The alternatives are to make your own cistern or have a bucket of water handy! 

old-fashioned-toilet-Powder-Room-Traditional-with-none-.jpg.4a41e16b143f25febbad2fe566a6b13f.jpg

OR

450.jpg.641c437c3f8506ef3e8d066a17d7a8b0.jpg

What sort of flush mechanism is inside the toilet cistern? A lot of syphon mechanisms basically limit the amount of water that can flow from a single flush. We have converted our home toilets to these stupidly simple flappy plug type valves. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit-1/50692  So simple and effective, and if you just hold the lever (or button) longer then you can empty the whole cistern full of water in one flush if you have had, what we may call a large deposit donated into the pan!  This one converts to a push button rather than a lever arrangement. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-conversion-kit-1/38533 At the end of the day the maximum size of your flush is dependant firstly upon the water volume of your cistern, then the type of flush mechanism. These type of valves maximise your flush as big as is feasible possible. 

Doc H. 

What sort of flush mechanism is inside the toilet cistern? A lot of syphon mechanisms basically limit the amount of water that can flow from a single flush. We have converted our home toilets to these stupidly simple flappy plug type valves. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-handle-kit-1/50692  So simple and effective, and if you just hold the lever (or button) longer then you can empty the whole cistern full of water in one flush if you have had, what we may call a large deposit donated into the pan!  This one converts to a push button rather than a lever arrangement. https://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-bottom-entry-toilet-flush-valve-conversion-kit-1/38533 At the end of the day the maximum size of your flush is dependant firstly upon the water volume of your cistern, then the type of flush mechanism. These type of valves maximise your flush as big as is feasible possible. 

Doc H. 
not sure about cistern internals but will check it out. thanks for helpful info

OK I think I have finally got to the bottom of this - pardon the pun.... 

Under the floor of my shed I found an inspection cover. There is a long sweeping 90 bend in a deep gulley formed with bricks and mortar. This is where all the nasty stuff is slowing down and backing up. I pressure washed all the nasties away and found there is mortar missing in several places. The inner surface is not glazed just bare mortar. There is a 4" clay pipe entering the chamber and another exiting. The pipe on the entry is accessible in that I could get an adaptor around it. The exit pipe is flush with the surrounding masonry and you wouldnt want to disturb it. - see pic

My plan is to get a pvc long 90 channeled bend and break up the gulley to make room, fit a rubber socket adaptor in the exit, push the end of the channel bend in to it and then a collar adaptor on the entry end. Then fill the void around and under the pipe with concrete. The grey pipe above is a diy effort to take rainwater from above by the shed.

Do you think it will work?

can anyone tell me the internal size of the 4" clay pipe in mm?

IMG_20180127_161143829.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the other pipe for?

if it was mine, id probably try and tidy up the bottom a bit, maybe cement the side and make it a bit smoother or line it with fibreglass or something, but i wouldnt try and fit a pipe over both ends and leave in inaccessable

whats the other pipe for?

if it was mine, id probably try and tidy up the bottom a bit, maybe cement the side and make it a bit smoother or line it with fibreglass or something, but i wouldnt try and fit a pipe over both ends and leave in inaccessable
the 'pipe' I have in mind is a 'channel' pipe, ie has no top just a sweeping channel - a bend with a large cut out - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110mm-Drainage-87-5-Long-Radius-Channel-Bend-Plain-Ended/253042028956?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

other pipe is a drain from the yard above

Last edited by a moderator:
Rev could you not re surface the concrete?  Then paint with epoxy concrete paint, as this apparently is good for a slippery surface? 

May be less work than trying to install an access bend? 

Agree with sharpend. Once you start digging and banging around, you might find yourself replacing whole sections of pipe.