HELP REQUIRED wiring a Switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty4848

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Hopefully there is a few bright sparks out there... (no pun intended)

I am wiring a simple light and am struggling with knowing how to wire the switch. I will explain my system hoping someone may be able to give some guidance.

Starts off with the mains feed coming from a plug (like a lamp) so I have Live, Neutral and Earth.

I then have a light with Live and Neutral.

My switch has 3 ports. Com, L1 and L2.

I will wire the earth to the back plate of the switch ans then to the front plate so that parts fine.

I just cant seem to understand how the switch should be wired...

Hope someone can help. 😀

Martin

connect in & out neutral to each other. live through the switch. tbh, if you cant understand how to wire a switch, you shouldnt really be touching it

Marty did said switch come with a piece of paper or card that had instructions on? Which part of connecting a switch confuses you?

For someone of Andy’s ability a switch is second nature done without thinking, but to someone who is not electrically competent then a simple switch can confuse, particularly when you have three terminals, so what are you struggling to understand? 

Thanks Sharpened, The switch does have instructions and to be honest it's only a relatively cheap switch £10 from B&Q so naturally the instructions are not the best.

I'm thinking the below is the correct way to wire.

From the plug bring the Live to COM port on switch, Then out of L1 to L on the Light.

From plug and from Light join the Neutral together.

Obviously then earth the socket and back plate.

I am then thinking if the switch works in the wrong direction just swap L1 to L2.

Does this sound right or am I missing something.