Help wiring my light swicth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suibel

Reaction score
Hi, please can anyone help me.  Just moved into a new build where I have 2 lights in my front room both wired up to 1 switch.  I decided I wanted to control both lights individually and thought it was as simple as buying a double switch.  After buying a double switch I sort of worked out it's not possible.  Today I took it upon myself to buy a dimmer switch instead thinking it's would be simple.  Just opened up my switch and it's not as simple.  

I have 3 earth wires joined together connected to the box. 2 brown wires in the 'com', 3 blue in the 'N Loop' and 1 brown wire in the 'L'.   In the dimmer switch I have just  bought (1 gang 2 way push), I have an earth, a x and L1 and L2.  I know the best answer would be to get an electrician but I thought I'd try your expertise first.  Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you

Your 2 browns in"com" go to the dimmer L1 your 1 brown in L goes to the dimmer L2

Connect the two blues together in a terminal block.

In the dimmer switch I have just  bought (1 gang 2 way push), I have an earth, a x and L1 and L2.  

If its a 2-way dimmer I don't think wiring to the L1 & L2 terminals will work. I think you will need to be between either X and L1 or X and L2.

Doc H.

the 2 brown wires in COM go in the ꭕ single to L1 - Neutrals in connector block. if its a metal switch earth to the E on switch.

wiring to the L1 & L2 terminals will work. I think you will need to be between either X and L1 or X and L2.

Doc H.
I must stop trying to answer question when i am in a hurry as dinner is on the table. I am sure he said 1 way dimmer and L1 and L2 were the only terminals. Sorry if i confused anybody.

Last edited by a moderator: