Here we go again !! Windows10

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ye, I went into Curry's just before Xmas to get the lad a PC,

Numpty sales guy said have a look at these laptops, 

"NO, I want a desktop, what sort of F***ing computer shop are you that you don't even sell proper computers?"

is more or less the exact phrase I said to him in a probably too loud, but ever more frustrated voice after having to tell him countless times "I do not want a f**%ing laptop you p******!"

Last edited by a moderator:
We went to Currys a few weeks ago....

But that was to buy an Iron....

(Wife broke the old one)

But its no good for Windows....

But the steam cleaner from Aldi can do windows apparently!

:coat

p.s.   I have a Dell inspiron Desktop...

cant remember how old now....

But that's now running Windows 10 ok for what I need.

Guinness

Well my lads desktop did an auto download of win10 at 03:00 this morning ................................he came down to do some homework to find the pc was cabbaged displaying a black screen and script stating unable to find boot disc.

Just completed a restore & now have all windows updates turned off.

Chuffing liberty if you ask me forcing the thing through. 

My laptop keeps telling me I should upgrade to Windows 10 as it's free for a limited time. I'm pretty happy with windows 7 and I don't use the thing much anyway. Should I upgrade it or not? 

My laptop keeps telling me I should upgrade to Windows 10 as it's free for a limited time. I'm pretty happy with windows 7 and I don't use the thing much anyway. Should I upgrade it or not? 

I would hold off for as long as possible.

Microsoft are being cunning here. Remember, nothing is free in this life. They are trying to force people to upgrade as Windows 10 basically gives them control of your system. Yes, it may be free to upgrade, but the monetisation that will come with it for them is greater than the cost of sale. With Windows 10, they can basically install whatever they want when they want and change whatever settings they want.

Since release theyhave already done some sneeky things, so it WILL happen.

The problem is they have stated that older versions of Windows will NOT be compatible with new hardware so eventually you will have no choice. Stinks really

Microsoft are being cunning here. Remember, nothing is free in this life. They are trying to force people to upgrade as Windows 10 basically gives them control of your system. Yes, it may be free to upgrade, but the monetisation that will come with it for them is greater than the cost of sale. With Windows 10, they can basically install whatever they want when they want and change whatever settings they want.

The problem is they have stated that older versions of Windows will NOT be compatible with new hardware so eventually you will have no choice. Stinks really

Thank Barx :) In that case I'll leave it for now. 

if your laptop is quite old then you may find Windows 10 swamps your ram anyway, nothing like Windows for creating 'bloatware' and every version seems more bloated than the last

Well, you could chose NOT to use windows,

Yes, there is one computer in my house runs windows, and 10 at that, but, its a dual boot and has a very small partition on the HDD, its only there for one very specific purpose.

I know some people are almost forced to use windows due to software requirements for specific tasks, maybe this will be the beginning of the end, I can't see many multinationals being happy about this. 

I downloaded windows 10 onto my laptop,it was terrible,more suitable for a phone if you ask me.The main thing is how intrusive it is,when you start to use it you have to give the various bits permission to do certain things.I liked the Cortana thing,I'll just tell it what I want and let it find it,save me typing and looking! But then I read the permissions,for that one app to be used you have to authorise it to inform Microsoft of EVERY site you visit,what you download and a whole lot more.If I want somebody monitoring everything I do I'll just move to North Korea!

Well for better or worse I changed the laptop to W10  to see how it goes. 

I don't think I shall change the office PC , which I use mostly,   one  reason is that W10  dumps Windows Media Centre which I use for cropping & enlarging photos etc.

As said in the threads , I too do not like all the references to W10 poking it's nose into everything you do .     Yes I know Google does it but this appears more intrusive.    Whats all this about location etc ?

BTW  the upgrade seemed to take hours , I left  it on all night , still another hour this morning .

I've come back to the laptop with the intention of dumping Firefox and adopting Chrome as the default browser , in the hope that it does not constantly freeze or be " not responding".

After an hour I have now given up as it appears to be impossible to install it on here . 

What particular sheit should I try then Paddler?     There were "easy" steps to download Chrome but when you get the last bit ...."Select Chrome"  ....there is no option for doing that .

I'm just sick of FF dragging it's feet all the time TBH honest.

Just made 5 attempts from that link.....gets to the end and says " Chrome is not your default browser"   :C      Good job I'm not a leading IT expert specializing in Forum maintenance .

I'm being pushed into selecting Microsoft Edge .......Chrome just won't become default. 

I’m running chrome but not out of choice, anything more advanced than XP Pro and my DOS programs refuse to run.

I’d like a better browser but I’m stuck to find one that doesn’t:

a/ try to take over the world

b/ make this steam powered heap of lettuced run at sloth speed

Latest posts